Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Yeshiva tuition assistance
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
I'm curious does anyone know of a situation where a couple asked a shaila regarding birth control - that only reason they don't want to have more kids is because they can't afford the extra tuition - what did the Rabbi respond?

I don't know, but overwhelmingly, most litfish rabbanim don't have 10+ children. Apparently, they all use bc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
But again, your just telling me there are "other expenses". Until I know how much those expenses are, and how much the yeshiva is bringing in, we really won't know what the actual fair full tuition should be.

Aren't 990s transparent? This bookkeeper just started listing other expenses. Besides payroll for teachers, there is a lot of other staff.
There is books and technology.
Copy machines (often monthly rentals with per use fees) and printers and paper and ink.
Janitorial supplies.
Extermination and landscaping.
AC units that fizzle out and boilers that stop working.
Water bills and plumbing repairs.
Electricity and gas at a rate way higher than your home.
Licensing fees and expenses for meetings and professional development.
Accounting and legal fees.
Transportation expenses.
Classroom and office furniture.
Security.
Just start thinking about it, and I'm sure you can come up with more.

Lots and lots and lots of money besides just paying for a staff. I'm a homeowner, and every month I have an unexpected expense it seems -- this month, it's replacing our AC for over $2300. Compared to the size of the school and the relatively less wear and tear, you can imagine repairs and even regular monthly expenses are magnified on a much bigger level when you're talking about hundreds of people in a building on a daily basis.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:53 am
Don't forget insurance costs - liability for the school, homeowner's for the building, health insurance for the staff etc. That's big money.

Parents pay tuition. They should have access to the budget (not the salary of each teacher, but the larger picture). When you trust people to educate your children, you ought to have financial openness, not to mention that in many cases, it's mandatory by law for the budget to be available.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics