Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question for mothers of Lakewood high school girls
  Previous  1  2  3  4 17  18  19  Next

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
Answers are coming out the end of the week? Graduation trip is Wednesday so it's coming out right after that.

How do you know? Not challenging you, I just want to verify that it's not a rumor.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:06 pm
Spoke to two different owners of high schools. First set of answers coming out Wednesday and Thursday.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:54 pm
Any one know anything more about rebetzin paretzky from bais yaakov of monsey opening a school here in lkwd... or is it all rumers?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:06 pm
Another question. If letters are being sent out, does that mean that presumably all girls who followed the instructions of the vaad have been accepted somewhere?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:22 pm
amother wrote:
Another question. If letters are being sent out, does that mean that presumably all girls who followed the instructions of the vaad have been accepted somewhere?

Unfortunately, it does not.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:50 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Unfortunately, it does not.

But wasn't that the whole point of the delay in sending out letters?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 6:46 pm
No many girls are not going to be accepted. Basically listening to the vaad ensures that your child will have a school come September. If you don't listen to the vaad then they won't even try to help you.

At least one hundred girls will be without a school at the end of the week.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
No many girls are not going to be accepted. Basically listening to the vaad ensures that your child will have a school come September. If you don't listen to the vaad then they won't even try to help you.

At least one hundred girls will be without a school at the end of the week.

What entails listening to the Vaad? Aside from applying to at least 4 schools?
Did a hundred girls simply disregard that? Why?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:30 pm
No 100 girls dont come from wealthy influential family so they @#;&& out of luck

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
No 100 girls dont come from wealthy influential family so they @#;&& out of luck

I take it you had a difficult experience that embittered you, and I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Your reply, though, is your opinion based on your negative experience. I'm looking for factual answers from people who are in the know, like Amother Cerise who seems to have insider info, and Debbie & Chayale who have been through the system a few times. Or anyone else who really knows how it works.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:03 pm
so... There are def girls that will not be accepted when the letters go out. From now till June, slowly some of them will get accepted. The vaad, has their meetings with the schools every week until they are placed. But there will be a bunch, even those that followed the rules when applying, that will not get accepted anywhere.Thats when it gets hard. Because all the schools start to play hardball with each other. And no school wants to give in.

Its very hard!!!! My daughter is in 11 grade, and that whole hs acceptance situation still haunts her to this day.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:19 pm
It's a very sad situation. Basically there really is a shortage of slots for all the girls. So what happens is that the girls that get in first it doesn't mean that they are better than another girl, it just means that the parents know more influential people or they are good with the school and the school pulled for this child or the parents happen to know the owners of a high school.

Some years are easier and your child can just be a good girl and get in without help, but this year there is a real shortage. Bais yaakov d'rav Meir was supposed to open and up the vaad begged them and in the end they didn't and there is a shortage.

This year two More elementary schools opened up and two old schools added on another class so there are more schools trying to get their girls into high school this year with no new high school.

Any family that applies to four schools and basically follows Lakewood tznius rules the vaad is promising that the child will have a school to go in September. They are not promising to get the child into the school of their choice but a school.

The vaad does not get involve until June, they are trying this year to make sure that every girl has a slot by June they are really trying but I don't know how realistic it is considering how many girls will not have a school.

It's a really hard situation to be in and I hope that everyone's daughter gets into the school of their choice right away.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:43 pm
Maybe I'm naive, but if R' Matisyahu Salomon ordered each high school in Lakewood to open an additional class to accomodate the girls who have nowhere to go, would they actually refuse him?!

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 9:02 pm
No they would never refuse him.

I don't know what the end result
Will be but schools will have to open additional classes in the end.

I really Hope they don't just open a new high school for all those that don't get in because that will be a recipe for a disaster.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know what the end result
Will be but schools will have to open additional classes in the end.

I really Hope they don't just open a new high school for all those that don't get in because that will be a recipe for a disaster.

Unfortunately in a place like Lakewood it would definitely be a disaster. It would become "Bnos Rejects" and downhill from there...

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 12:53 am
I stand by what I said upthread

I maybe ignorant of all the inner secrets of the wonderful Lakewood schools.
However, every girl I met from the Greater Washington school, was poised, polite, well-mannered, happy, and well-educated.

That is more than any high school in America secular or religious can hope for..

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 1:24 am
It could be a great school but again a girl belongs at home while she is growing up and rather send her to the second best school than send her out of town. People would sooner listen if you would recomend them to move there.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 2:07 am
amother wrote:
It could be a great school but again a girl belongs at home while she is growing up and rather send her to the second best school than send her out of town. People would sooner listen if you would recomend them to move there.

To suggest that people move is not recommended either. Not when we're in the middle of a discussion and I'm looking for information, not random advice. Anybody can come to the conclusion that if they are truly unhappy with where they live, they have the option to move. The Baltimore area has its drawbacks too, as I found out when we were considering moving there. Yes, the school elitism here stinks, but there are other reasons why I live here, and moving isn't relevant right now. So thanks, but let's stay on topic.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:51 am
amother wrote:

What about high schools in surrounding areas like Deal, Edison or even Bruriah in Elizabeth?

I realize the schools won't be quite Lakewood hashkafa, but at least your poor kids won't have a poor self esteem or be traumatized by the process.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 9:11 am
How won't a kid be traumatized when they know they are traveling everyday for forty five minutes to an hour each way because they couldn't get in when everyone else got in? How do you think other kids will treat them after school when they need to socialize? They will be forgotten and the other girls will go on to make new friends and shabbosim and yomim tovim will be torture for them?

We are trying to build up their self confidence not destroy it?
Page 3 of 19   Previous  1  2  3  4 17  18  19  Next Recent Topics