Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you identify with your family's origin?
Previous  1  2  3

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 11:43 am
Ruchel wrote:
Also Italians and Greek, of all edot, are very patriotic.

They're not Ashkenazic.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
Of course their feelings are understandable re wanting to boycott, but it might be worth mentioning that Germany is a huge supporter of Israel and weapons supplier.

I see both sides. Germany is definitely the best of the bunch right now when it comes to Europe and the Jews. How much of that is because they feel genuinely sorry or because they simply would never get away with antisemitism the way most other EU countries seem to, who knows. I imagine the weapons are part of reparations, but yes, Merkel is certainly more supportive of Israel than her EU counterparts. I may reconsider things in the future, though as long as my grandparents are alive, you certainly won't see me driving a beamer.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 12:10 pm
zaq wrote:
The poster to whom you were responding asked if her late MIL's being BORN in China makes her Chinese. To answer that, we would need to know Chinese citizenship laws Wink

That was me. It did say China on her passport. Though I know nothing of Chinese citizenship laws Smile.

3/4 of my ancestry is Hungarian Chassidish, and 1/4 (my maternal grandfather) comes from the part of Hungary that was closer to Austria - known as Oberland. They were Talmidim of the Chasam Sofer and their minhagim were closer to Yekkes, though in later generations that part of Hungary got some Chassidish influence as well.

My mother was born in the US, and her parents had very much Americanized, and had few Chassidish customs.

My father is the child of Holocaust survivors who held on to being frum. They identified as Chassidish, but they say that Chassidish life as they knew it growing up was vastly different than what you see today. As such, they didn't raise my father to be very Chassidish - they sent him to Torah V'Daas and college, etc...

My parents had some minhagim, like not eating gebrokts on Pesach and davening nusach sfard...but can't think of anything else off the top of my head...some of my siblings had Mitzvah Tanz at wedding (I didn't - DH was set against it.)

So having been raised with knowledge of my Chassidish roots, but sent to BY schools, I can't say I identify much with my family's origin. It's interesting, but to be perfectly honest, I am glad that my grandparents did not choose a very Chassidish lifestyle. I'm glad that I can drive a car and keep my hair under my wig. Maybe (probably) this is because I wasn't raised Chassidish. If I was, I guess that would be the life I would know.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:08 am
zaq wrote:
They're not Ashkenazic.

That's why I said of all edot. Sefardim, Italkian, Askenazim, Romaniotes... I happen to have a bit, litte bit of familiarity with those countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....sions You're welcome.

T
Quote:
he first time I actually heard someone daven Booreech attoo elukahynee I almost had to walk out of the sanctuary lest I disgrace myself by bursting out laughing.

If someone said that about Mizrachim, he'd be called a racist.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:11 am
So I'm too lazy to add other places where Jews carefully kept their minhagim for centuries and more despite a move, but along with Italy, Greece https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....reece
There was also Bulgaria, India...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics