Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Saying a Bracha for nothing

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 23 2004, 9:58 pm
my 3 year old daughter constantly says brachas in vain is that ok?

Last edited by proudmom on Mon, Nov 29 2004, 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Yael

Post Tue, Aug 24 2004, 2:32 pm
she's probably just practicing them. I wouldnt worry about it. be happy she knows them. also dont make a big deal out of it cuz she probably does it to get a rise out of you.
whenever she says a bracha ask her what foods we make that bracha on. use it as an opportunity to teach her something.
also you can say "are you hungry? is that why you made a bracha? cuz you want to eat?" that way it reinforces that we make brachos when we eat.

RachelSteph

Post Sat, Sep 11 2004, 11:57 pm
Thats is so cute, my son says the first word and rhen says amen thats it right now, but when he does say it I always use that oppotunity to teach him it. He loves watching me to when ever I daven or say shema. He even has this toy shabbos toy set that he plays with., and we will have a mock shabbat with it together. I just don't say Hashem's name in the brachot when we play. I hope thats okay? Question Gut voch!!!

Yael

Post Sun, Sep 12 2004, 10:54 am
actually when you are teaching him brochos, not only is it allowed but its encouraged to use hashem's name. you dont want him to think that the way we say a bracha for real is "boruch atah hashem..." also be sure not to say amen when you say a bracha with him cuz he'll think that he's supposed to say amen when HE says a bracha, instead of just responding with amen when he hears a bracha.
when you both hear someone else, like your husband, say a bracha you can teach him to say amen with you.

RachelSteph

Post Mon, Sep 13 2004, 7:43 pm
I didn't know that, what I was doing was saying the bracha and taking a bite of the food. I always try to eat with my 2yr old he eats better when I'm eating with him and anyhow what ever he doesn't eat I finnish, I hate to throw out food. Shana Tova

proudmom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2004, 7:45 pm
it is like when the boys are studing their bar mitzva parsha they say it with hashems name, because they are practicing.

RachelSteph

Post Tue, Sep 14 2004, 9:49 am
Thanks I'm always learning something knew everyday, like I always tell my sister in-Law, you won't know until you ask, and that is a risk we all have to take. She's lacking in self-confidance, and she is really shy so me out of all the people in montreal I who also has or had the same problems she's going through (Well some of them that is) am helping her get over them. But anyhow thanks for the reply when ever I ask her these questions she's never quiet sure of her answers so I always like to get a second opinion. Thanks.

micki

Post Tue, Sep 14 2004, 11:33 pm
I know a kid who proudly made a brocha " barach ata ado elo melech haolam..."
that's exactly the way he said it. needles to say, if you never say hashems name, neither will they.

proudmom

Post Tue, Sep 14 2004, 11:38 pm
that is funny, children mimik you. so you have to be really careful with what you say

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 3:40 pm
Quote:
it is like when the boys are studing their bar mitzva parsha they say it with hashems name, because they are practicing.

it's not bec. of practicing

when saying verses from the Torah, it's proper to say Hashem's name
for some reason, in school we don't

proudmom

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 3:58 pm
I am talking only for the boys that have to study their bar mitzvah parsha not learning chumash in school

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 4:19 pm
I understand. I'm saying that whenever we study Torah, whether learning Chumash or Navi in school, practicing for one's bar mitzva, you are allowed to say Hashem's name. It has nothing to do with practicing. Some people, whenever they learn Torah, say it with Hashem's name.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 7:40 pm
even when saying the chumash for chitas, I heard that you should use Hashems name

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 03 2004, 4:29 pm
Rochel Leah wrote:
even when saying the chumash for chitas, I heard that you should use Hashems name

Smile when you are saying chumash for chitas it doesn't count if don't use Hashem's name. If you are saying pesukim, even reading and translating piece by piece you can use Hashem's name.

Chanie

Post Sat, Oct 16 2004, 8:11 pm
My boy is almost 2 now, and he walks around saying brachos. He sometimes makes a bracha pure bite. I dont try to discourage him, I think he's way to young, especially since in his eyes he's doing something good. He looks so proud every time. When the time comes that he understands better, I will try to teach him.

Ozmom

Post Sat, Oct 16 2004, 10:43 pm
Quote:
when you are saying chumash for chitas it doesn't count if don't use Hashem's name

I wouldn't say it doesn't count, its still something.
its just that it would be better to say Hashems name.
so no one should think that if they havent been saying hashems name all this time then oy vey what a waste. Chas ve sholom.
they still did well just should start doing it with hashems name from now on

about the brachas in vain, my kids do it at that age too but thats fine its a learning thing. I had to get the bigger kids to leave youngest alone when she was doing it explaining that she/he was still young and would learn

Last edited by Ozmom on Sat, Aug 06 2005, 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 2:12 am
Ozmom wrote:
Quote:
when you are saying chumash for chitas it doesn't count if don't use Hashem's name

I wouldn't say it doesn't count, its still something.
its just that it would be better to say Hashems name.
so no one should think that if they havent been saying hashems name all this time then oy vey what a waste. Chas ve sholom.
they still did well just should start doing it with hashems name from now on

Smile Thank you for clarifying, that didn't come out the way I had ment it to. You are 100% correct.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 12:31 pm
my kids once began to sing bentching while in the bathtub!!!!! shock
Boy, did I over-react!!!

Anyways, at some point I told them that H's name is kadosh & we only say it when we make a real Bracha (and never - in the bathroom, b/c it's disrespectful). When we pretend or practice, we say Hashem Elokeinu. Not that they always remember, but a quick reminder helps. I think a 3+ yr old might be albe to understand, depending on the child.

Just don't overstress it, you do not want to associate a bracha with yelling & punshment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics