Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
How hard is it to dye clothing?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:03 am
There is an item I have been looking for but it doesn't seem to exist in the color I want. It is made mostly of wool. I'm thinking of buying a beige one (that's the lightest I can find it available) and dyeing it. The thing is, I'm quite hopeless at anything crafty and DIY and I'm afraid I'd botch it. Or that it will be super messy. I wouldn't even know how to get the shade right (I don't want it coming out too dark). How realistically difficult is it to dye clothing? Any tips?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:08 am
I dyed my sweaters bluer not to a different color in the washer machine (top loader). I used rit but after a while it came out. My friend tried what you plan on doing and her sweater came out a disgusting green. There is a better company of dye but I have to find out.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:13 am
I want to dye it blue, but I can only find it in navy, not a lighter blue that I can make darker (navy is already way darker than I want).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:15 am
It's hard!
And doesn't always work the way you envision it will come out.
Also, it depends on the material. Synthetic fabric will often not take to the dye. Cotton is easier but you need to work hard to make sure the color comes through evenly. And then you always need to wash that garment separately from then on otherwise it will bleed onto the other clothes.

About your specific situation, wool shrinks in hot water so the dyeing process will ruin the garment before the color even adheres. Sad

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:23 am
The best colored wool is dyed before it's spun into yarn. The next level is when the yarn is dyed. The lowest is when the woven fabric is dyed.
I'm sure it could work somehow, I just wouldn't know.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:31 am
The item in question is a coat, so it wouldn't get washed very often at all. Does that change things?

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 7:54 am
Don't even think about it. No o e I know has ever been able to make the color come out even, wool shrinks, and a garment as complex as a wool coat would be utterly ruined by machine washing (even without dye) for many reasons. Resign yourself to either wearing a beige coat or getting a different coat in the color you want.

myself

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:21 am
I've successfully dyed corduroy pants on several occasions, but wouldn't risk it with wool.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:51 am
It is possible, but you have to have the right type of dye, and follow the tutorials precisely.

Go to Dharma Trading, and search "wool dye". It's more complicated than you'd think, but it's a fascinating process.

Synthetics are nearly impossible. I've had great luck with cotton, silk, rayon, and bamboo textiles. I've done some absolutely stunning cashmere sweaters (thank you, Goodwill!)

Wool is natural, but it's treated to resist shrinking, and that can repel dye or make it take unevenly. That's why you have to pre-treat it, use a cold water dye, etc.

Once you get the hang of it, it's a really addicting hobby!

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:34 am
it's quite possible just be prepared to dye quite a few things the same colour ... seems to be an urge that people who dye have - quick find another item - lol

I myself have only tie-dyed things ~ was quite the FUN & with nice results Colors

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:39 am
greenfire wrote:
it's quite possible just be prepared to dye quite a few things the same colour ... seems to be an urge that people who dye have - quick find another item - lol

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter TRUTH! Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Wait, there's a tablespoon of dye left over, find a sock! LOL

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter TRUTH! Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Wait, there's a tablespoon of dye left over, find a sock! LOL

yes I've watched my sister & my dd#2 do the exact same thing ... all my girlies had the same colour underwear, socks & t-shirts & that was an aside to whatever it was she was dyeing in the first place [I think even I threw in a pair of socks]

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:25 pm
I loved my swirly purple tights! They were added last and not submerged enough.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:32 pm
Should I try to get the coat in a different material? What would work better? I'm getting the coat for a specific reason and it needs to be a certain style and at least an approximation of a particular color. Doesn't have to be wool, though that seems easiest to find.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:12 pm
Seriously, unless the coat is relatively unstructured iow no lining, interlining, shoulder pads and other tailoring features- more like a big sweater than a coat-- OR if you need this for something like a costume for Purim or a play in which up-close looks and condition don't matter all that much, you should forget about it. You'd probably be better off having it made from scratch or having a tailor retrofit the requisite detailing onto something similar that is the right color.

If you're looking at school or work uniforms and you must have the right color, it would be hard if not impossible to match exactly. And in the meantime you risk ruining the coat if it's not machine washable. Wool coats tend to require dry cleaning because the various parts shrink unequally. A 100% wool coat still has parts that are not wool, such as shoulder pads, interfacings, linings and interlinings and maybe a belt with a plastic stiffener. The coat may also have parts that are fused rather than sewn together.. Even dry cleaning sometimes causes these parts to separate, immersing in water kal vachomer. You may want to ask a professional cleaner about dyeing such a garment. I would really urge you not to try diy unless you're willing to accept the loss if it gets ruined.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics