Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this normal? Pubic Hair in a 7-year-old girl
1  2  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:13 pm
Hi,
My 7.5 year-old daughter is starting to grow pubic hairs. Is this anything to worry about, or is it normal? Thanks!

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:20 pm
I would bring it to your pediatrician's attention ASAP and ask for a referral to someone who can advise you more specifically on what this could mean. It is definitely not expected.

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:21 pm
Ask your pediatrician . If he/she thinks it a cause for concern, they'll refer you to an endocrinologist.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:23 pm
Definitely less common, but my pediatrician friend has told me that more and more she sees girls getting their periods at 8 yrs old now. Probably due to all the hormones in dairy and meat.

octopus

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:04 pm
Yes, there are some girls that start their periods as young as age 8.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:31 pm
I'm not sure it's such a big deal. I remember having pubic hair when I was 8 or 9, but developed breasts late, and did not get my period until past 14.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:39 pm
I remember having hair as long as I can remember probably about the same age. I got my period at 11.
My aunt got her period at 8 -9 years old.
We both got pregnant normal timing.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 12:39 am
seeker wrote:
I would bring it to your pediatrician's attention ASAP and ask for a referral to someone who can advise you more specifically on what this could mean. It is definitely not expected.

This.

The earlier someone physically matures, the earlier they will stop growing. This needs to be watched (and possibly medicated to push off puberty) so that she can grow to a normal height. But definitely something to bring up to your pediatrician ASAP.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 2:05 am
I had the same thing with my daughter. Bring it up to the doctor, but don't panic.
He asked me if there was a change in diet, more soy products.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 2:27 am
I started noticing pubic hair on DD when she was a few months shy of eight years old. Her pediatrician was not concerned. However, she did get her period when she was a month away from her tenth birthday. I probably should have taken her to an endocrinologist at the time, but I didn't. She reached 5 feet in height I did take her to an endocrinologist after her period came, who said there really isn't much you can do about height. I'm short, DH is tall - DD had always been tall - the endocrinologist said it was a false feeling because she had her growth spurt early, I don't think that's true because she was tall even as a toddler
I'm sorry I didn't do more when I could. I feel very guilty about it and am keeping a close watch on my currently seven and a half year old DD.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 2:28 am
Just want to add that the endocrinologist said that it DD was on the very younger side of the normal range for girls to get their period which is nine years and ten months.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 3:29 am
My DD had pubic hair at 8 (yes, I freaked out) but didn't get her period til 14.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 8:21 am
My dd got her at 12 and still kept on growing. She is extremly tall , now at 13 and I am hoping she will stop growing. Is it true that getting your period means you stop growing?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
My dd got her at 12 and still kept on growing. She is extremly tall , now at 13 and I am hoping she will stop growing. Is it true that getting your period means you stop growing?

Usually girls stop growing within 6 months of getting their periods. Not always, but for the most part.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 11:34 am
My daughter started developing late, got her period at 13 1/2 and she is just under 5'-1" tall. So I guess the getting period later = taller doesn't work for everyone.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 11:40 am
You should 100% see a pediatric endocrinologist, whether or not your pediatrician is concerned. The endocrinologist will do extensive blood work to check the level of puberty she may have reached, and a bone scan to check her bone age. This is directly related to her future growth potential.

My dd was diagnosed with precocious puberty and needed certain medications to hold it off so that her growth would not stop at 4'6". My pediatrician was not concerned initially and we lost close to a year of treatment time because of that. That did considerably affect her final height, although bh, she is within normal limits.

I so so so am not trying to scare you. As everyone says, it is so much more common these days. But there are complicated issues that should absolutely be assessed, and then monitored by a pediatric endocrinologist if they deem it necessary.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter started developing late, got her period at 13 1/2 and she is just under 5'-1" tall. So I guess the getting period later = taller doesn't work for everyone.

You kind of came to your own indirect conclusion, there.

Nobody said that getting a period later means you will be taller. What WAS said was that after getting a period, girls stop growing. Most girls grow to whatever height they are going to be, some short, some tall.

perquacky

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:52 pm
Definitely consult an endocrinologist. My dd started precocious puberty at around age 7-8, and I wasn't prepared for her to have to deal with getting her period at 9 or 10. (I didn't get mine until I was almost 12, and I didn't think she'd be mature enough to deal with it at a young age.) We chose to have a Supprelin implant inserted into her arm for three years. We had it removed when she was 11.5. She's almost 12 now and hasn't gotten her period yet. But I see signs of developing again, and now I know she'll be able to handle her period when it comes.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 1:55 pm
I was still growing years after.

marina

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 2:41 pm
It could be precocious puberty which could be a symptom of an overall hormonal problem. They will do a bone density test and depending on the kind of problem, they may prescribe medication. So yes, I would get it checked out
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics