Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What solids?

muss

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 7:43 pm
My baby is 10 months and every time we eat she's looking at us with her mouth open and trying to grab the food. She is eating but don't know what to give her.
Looking for easy foods that she can eat herself

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 7:56 pm
Soft small chicken, rice, bananas, applesauce yogurt, cheese, anything that is not a choking hazard.

OutATowner

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 8:01 pm
Not too many bananas! I made that mistake, caused horrible constipation.
What age can a baby have cheerios?
Cooked vegetables, but it will be messy.
There's also the Gerber baby puffs.

MommyM

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 9:18 pm
I usually cut up pieces of what we ourselves are eating. Chicken, potatoes, fish, pasta, rice, chicken soup, Kugel, carrots, etc. Most things are fine as long as they are not a choking hazard.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 11:22 pm
My pediatrician is a big proponent of starting babies on one food at a time to make sure they can tolerate it.

I've always started my babies on the cereals around 6 months when they have a growth spurt and seem hungry and kvetchy at night. Then I move on to vegetable purees and then fruit purees. Then I make chicken soup puree and start on real table food cut into small pieces.

Cheerios or Puffs are a good for encouraging fine motor skills and distracting a baby when you need to eat a few bites yourself but they're not really filling.

Try mesh feeders such as this for chunks of fruit (not bananas) that are hard for a baby to chew: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mun.....h=sem

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:48 am
Cereals used to be considered the first thing that people should give a child, but there's recently been an increase in a rare allergy disease called FPIES, which presents with delayed vomiting reactions that can turn into shock, ch"v.

If starting with cereals, keep your eye out for any reaction within 2 weeks of starting, as FPIES kids usually have their first reaction anywhere from 1-10 days from first exposure. Rice and poultry are usually the worst reaction-causing culprits, but various other foods, including fruits can be a trigger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics