Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Where to buy fidget spinners? Are they "in" in your kids sch
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 3:26 pm
I never heard of the until about 1 week ago. Now they are an infestation. Another silly fad.

WastingTime

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 3:45 pm
DrMom wrote:
I never heard of the until about 1 week ago. Now they are an infestation. Another silly fad.

I agree- silly fad and smart guy who thought it up. Although I still hold the smartest was those speed stacks. Take a 10 cent cup and charge 10 dollars for it instead!

amother
Copper

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 3:51 pm
Missed that one- what's a speed stack?

amother
Natural

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 7:00 pm
How do these fads spread across the world so fast? I live in England and I am teacher - suddenly since Pesach the entire school have them. My nieces and nephews in various different schools also say their schools sre full of them.
How do these crazes spread across the world so fast? Trying to work out the secret so I can invent something and make some quick money!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 9:01 pm
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05.....trnd/

If you have a kid with ADHD, or is on the spectrum, fidgets are part of a healthy sensory diet.

What makes me mad, is that DD had it in her IEP that she needed some kind of fidget or comfort item to help her with her anxiety. The kids in her class would steal them, play "Keep Away", and then the teachers would confiscate them. DD would then get in trouble for being upset! The teachers never took any responsibility for stopping the other kids from stealing from DD, but instead blamed DD for bringing in "toys" that would distract the other kids.

So DD went back to tapping her pencil all day long, or kicking the table legs, or humming loudly. Then she got in trouble for that, too.

I tried to give DD other fidgets that she could hide in a pocket, but she got really scared and said "No mama, I'll get yelled at!" Dozens of IEP meetings did nothing to change the situation.

She still has anxiety, and runs out of the classroom and hides at least once a week or so. Her therapist wants her to bring a fidget to school as part of a self soothing system, but DD is afraid to try it again.

/rant

debsey

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
How do these fads spread across the world so fast? I live in England and I am teacher - suddenly since Pesach the entire school have them. My nieces and nephews in various different schools also say their schools sre full of them.
How do these crazes spread across the world so fast? Trying to work out the secret so I can invent something and make some quick money!!!

These fads fade as fast as they catch on. Last thing you want to do is invest in fidget spinners, sell a few cartons, and then be left with a garage full!

cm

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
Missed that one- what's a speed stack?

From a few years ago - sets of plastic cups that can be stacked into towers of varying configurations. The cups have holes on the bottom to allow air to pass through, so they can slide into position very quickly. (It's more exciting than it sounds.)

ETA here's a video: https://www.speedstacks.com/learn/?lang=en

salt

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 7:06 am
Finally bought one for my son last week. It cost me 25 shekels - I bought it from a teenager in my neighborhood who probably bought them for 20 shekes and is selling them for 25.

How long do they last? He dropped it a few times over Shabbos, and seems like it's already not 100%, you have to keep pressing it together. One little black plastic ring fell off and I pushed it back in.

Does that mean I bought a dud one, or is my son just not careful enough?
Should they last?

Shuly

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:21 am
Who invented the fidget spinner - http://time.com/money/4762207/.....nger/

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 1:55 pm
My 3 year old has trouble sitting still during circle time. Would a fidget spinner be appropriate or is it for older kids? Her OT hadn't heard of them.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
My 3 year old has trouble sitting still during circle time. Would a fidget spinner be appropriate or is it for older kids? Her OT hadn't heard of them.

It would probably distract her from what's being taught.
Has she tried an OT wedge cushion to sit on?

DrMom

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 4:32 pm
cm wrote:
From a few years ago - sets of plastic cups that can be stacked into towers of varying configurations. The cups have holes on the bottom to allow air to pass through, so they can slide into position very quickly. (It's more exciting than it sounds.)

ETA here's a video: https://www.speedstacks.com/learn/?lang=en

Why would anyone want to do this? This is a parlor trick for when you are bored at a fraternity party. This is not a sport.

It seems anything can become a fad.

QUEENY

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 5:38 pm
more like "in" the Rebber's desk bc he takes away so many of them!

cm

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 5:41 pm
DrMom wrote:
Why would anyone want to do this? This is a parlor trick for when you are bored at a fraternity party. This is not a sport.

It seems anything can become a fad.

I'm not sure why it upsets you for kids to have fun in a wholesome way.

I don't know what goes on at fraternity parties, and while there are stacking competitions, most kids I know don't think of this as a sport. For a fad, it's been going on for quite a few years.

Speed stacking is a low-tech, challenging, engrossing activity that grade-school-age kids love. (Despite what the spokesperson says in the video, you don't "need" an electronic mat, but it's true that kitchen cups won't work nearly as well). As a parent, I approve. Considering the skill and speed involved, it's roughly analogous to the Rubik's cube frenzy of my youth, but also fills the schoolyard-game niche along with jacks, Jacob's ladder, and any number of other activities which rise and fall in popularity and may require a small piece of equipment.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children