Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
No milchig oven - help with shavuos recipes please!
Previous  1  2

sleepwalking

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 5:35 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Fettucini Alfredo
Cottage cheese pancakes
Puddings/pudding pie
Onion soup sprinkled with mozzarella

Do you have a recipe for that?

sky

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 7:20 pm
To all those who say to kasher the oven - there is a difference in opinion between America and Eretz Yisroel. Many people in eretz yisroel do not burn out their ovens to kasher like it is common to do in America between meat and milk.

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 7:28 pm
@sleepwalking:

Alfredo Sauce:
3 c. heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
1 tsp. salt (+ more to taste, but don't oversalt it to start with)
1/4 tsp. black pepper (+ more to taste)
2 pinches nutmeg (+ more to taste)
1/3 c. parmesan cheese

Bring cream to simmer over medium heat and cook until reduced by 1/3.
In small bowl, mix egg yolks with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Add half a cup or so of hot cream to the eggs to temper them and mix thoroughly.
Stir another half cup of hot cream to the egg mixture.
Add egg mixture back to the pot of cream. Turn off heat and add parmesan, stirring until thoroughly combined.

Serve immediately over warm fettucine or linguine. If you make in advance or mix sauce + pasta too early, sauce will congeal. If reheating sauce, add a bit of cream.

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 7:34 pm
Chocolate Pudding from Scratch

1/2 c. white sugar
3 Tbsp. cocoa (regular cocoa works better than fancy Dutch process)
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
2 3/4 c. whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla

mix dry ingredients together in pot, slowly stir in milk
bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
let cool briefly and serve warm, or pour into a graham cracker or lightly baked "it-came-frozen" pie crust and chill for pudding pie!

If tripling the recipe, reduce milk from tripled proportions to exactly half a gallon (8 cups), but other ingredients are exactly tripled (I.e. 1 1/2 c. sugar, 9 Tbsp. cocoa, etc.)

srj

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 12:29 pm
If I make a white lasagna or some other creamy dish. Do you think it will burn on the bottom while rehearing on the blech? Also do you think I have to worrry about the milk and fat separating?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 12:36 pm
Buy the cheapest toaster oven you can find. You'll be glad you did.

Use a water blech or double boiler method to heat dairy, or else your risk ruining your food.

Water blechs are easy to make. Put a cookie sheet on the burner, and fill with hot water. Set a slightly larger cookie sheet on top. Viola! You can use a sheet cake pan for the bottom blech, if you don't have cookie sheets that fit together.

Set the burner heat so that the water temp is just below simmering. The top sheet should feel very hot to your hand, but not burn you.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 12:44 pm
srj wrote:
If I make a white lasagna or some other creamy dish. Do you think it will burn on the bottom while rehearing on the blech? Also do you think I have to worrry about the milk and fat separating?

Make the Alfredo sauce fresh on YT.

sky

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 3:32 pm
I know Circa where I live sells ready made pasta sauces that are delicious. Besides not having to do the work - it doesn't cost much more then buying a lot of ingredients I typically don't use. I just pour over the pasta and reheat before serving.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 4:05 pm
srj wrote:

For some reason I thought I read that you wanted to heat fettuccini alfredo.
To rewarm a baked pasta dish on the blech, put it over a double boiler so that the water in the pot/pan underneath simmers and heats up the dish without burning the bottom of the food (or getting it wet)
If you've had success reheating your cream sauce dish in the past, it should work ok on the blech this way too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics