Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Allergy Friendly Ideas

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 6:53 am
Looking for ideas for gluten, egg, nut, and soy free Shabbos food besides the obvious, rice, roasted potatoes, roasted vegetable type things.
Any tried and true recipes for kugels/dessert type things?

CEF

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
Looking for ideas for gluten, egg, nut, and soy free Shabbos food besides the obvious, rice, roasted potatoes, roasted vegetable type things.

do they eat protein? I.e. fish? meat? chickpeas? lentils? how are they with onions and garlic?
desert anything made of fruit, e.g. cooked fruit (cored and peeled eating apples with cinnamon in the oven on 180 celsius uncovered - naturally sweet and delicious. replace apples with pears or plums). You can make date balls (lmk if you want recipe).

juggling

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:33 pm
Gluten-free fruit crumbles? I don't have a recipe, but look for something not gebruchts. Pesach cakes will be largely inappropriate because of the eggs, but crumbles may be exactly what you're looking for.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:40 pm
Can you use gluten free oats and coconut oil for a fruit crumble?

gold21

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Can you use gluten free oats and coconut oil for a fruit crumble?

How do you make a fruit crumble, for my nephew, he can have gf oats, and he can have coconut oil, he can also have apples and grapes and a couple other fruits

CEF

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:13 pm
apple as I explained above. can you use GF granola for topping? make sure it's nutfree if necessary

gold21

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:21 pm
CEF wrote:
apple as I explained above. can you use GF granola for topping? make sure it's nutfree if necessary

Thanks. Slice apples, sprinkle cinammon, and cover with gf granola? Then bake? Any sugar?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:29 pm
gold21 wrote:
How do you make a fruit crumble, for my nephew, he can have gf oats, and he can have coconut oil, he can also have apples and grapes and a couple other fruits

Toss thinly sliced apples with cinnamon, lemon and a bit of cornstarch (or tapioca or potato starch). (If he can't have any of those you can just used sliced apples.) Arrange in pan. Top with a mixture of oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, coconut oil (you can add some gluten free flour if you feel it's necessary). Bake.
For something more concrete, use this link. You can omit the small amount of almond flour and if you feel it's necessary just add a bit more GF flour or ground sunflower seeds to the crumble.
http://minimalistbaker.com/glu.....risp/

CEF

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:45 pm
gold21 wrote:
Thanks. Slice apples, sprinkle cinammon, and cover with gf granola? Then bake? Any sugar?

If you find GF granola then I literally just put it all layered in a pan and bake. No sugar if the apples are naturally sweet. Lowish heat because you want the apples to bake and the granola (which is pre-cooked) not to turn black!

mommee

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:51 pm
For a dessert, chocolate dipped fruit is always a hit here, both with the allergic and non allergic family members Smile Grapes, bananas, berries etc are all delicious dipped in melted chocolate.

smss

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:

Honestly I think all kugels by definition have eggs and/or mayo (which gets you on both the eggs and the soy, unless you make your own).

I would think you're probably best off just sticking with the ideas you mentioned... Also, what about salads? Lettuce salad, green bean salad, cabbage salad, cucumber salad, marinated vegetable salad....

I've made this before and it's pretty good: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....-pie/ Her GF pie crust recipe calls for almond flour I believe but maybe you can find one that doesn't. If not, you can leave the crust out.

Her website is all vegan recipes so might be a good place for you to look! Mostly dessert recipes...

gold21

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 8:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Toss thinly sliced apples with cinnamon, lemon and a bit of cornstarch (or tapioca or potato starch). (If he can't have any of those you can just used sliced apples.) Arrange in pan. Top with a mixture of oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, coconut oil (you can add some gluten free flour if you feel it's necessary). Bake.
For something more concrete, use this link. You can omit the small amount of almond flour and if you feel it's necessary just add a bit more GF flour or ground sunflower seeds to the crumble.
http://minimalistbaker.com/glu.....risp/

Perfect! Thanks. And he can have almond (only allergic to peanut and walnut)! Will give it a try.

gold21

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 8:47 pm
CEF wrote:
If you find GF granola then I literally just put it all layered in a pan and bake. No sugar if the apples are naturally sweet. Lowish heat because you want the apples to bake and the granola (which is pre-cooked) not to turn black!

Thank You!

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 9:21 am
Did you ever try an egg free potato kugel? It sounded awful to me, until I tried it. Actually quite good.

esther malka

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 12:40 pm
Sorbet.
And ditto to the egg free potato kugel, search imamother, I make it for my son with egg allergy and it is very good.
Enjoy life makes very good cookies and bars that are free of top 8 allergens.
Also bobs red mill has a one for one flour that you can use as a flour replacement and ener g egg replaced works well, or google egg replacement and a lot of those are good too. Busy in Brooklyn uses aqua faba, the gel in the can of chick peas.
Good luck!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen