Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Help! we are invited to our Rabbi's dd's wedding!

meesi

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:43 pm
Hi everyone,

We recently received an invitation to our Rabbi's dd's wedding. I think that the whole congregation is invited to the chupah and a reception afterwards (not a dinner). Please, can someone tell me what is an appropriate gift? I want to do the right thing!

Thank you!

Chana

chavamom

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:15 pm
Are they registered somewhere? A gift certificate is always an easy and appropriate gift too. Usually when you are invited to the meal, unless it is someone very close to you, the custom is to give a gift that is approximately the cost of a night out (let's say for dinner) in your area for you and your husband. At least that is the way it was explained to me. It would seem to me that in this case where you are invited to a reception, a gift that was a multiple of 'chai' would be appropriate.

miriam

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 10:29 pm
We always give a card with a check inside. The card has our name typed on front. We usually give a check based on the closeness of the family, 18-50, depends. Good Luck and have a great time at the chasana.

AweSumThenSum

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 11:53 am
depending on how long he's been the rabbi and/or you've been a member, I would either give a check individually (anywhere from $18 and up) or I would pool some friends together and get a nice piece of silver, or maybe a silver set I.e. tfillos neyros, tzedakah box, pushka, and napkin holder in a wood/silver combination.

meesi

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 2:20 pm
Thank you, everyone. I think a group of us will try to get together to buy a gift. I like the idea of something in silver.

Good Shabbos, everyone!

Chana

supermom

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 5:57 am
what is dd stand for?

meesi

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 8:32 am
dd=dear/darling daughter

ds- dear son

dh- dear husband

etc.

supermom