Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
OHR ELIYAHU LOS ANGELES LA!

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 3:01 pm
We are moving to LA for the next school year and our school options would be either Yavneh or Ohr Eliyahu. We checked out both schools and they both look amazing for what they have to offer. We are just a plain frum family. Not yeshivish at all, but fully frum. How is the parent body in both schools? I hear most boys go to very secular high schools after Yavneh which worries me alittle. I would love my boys go to a a traditional yeshiva which has great general studies where they end up being learners and earners!
I dont know how strict the administration is at Or Eliyahu but I dont want kids to be the only non jewish movie watching kids in their class. We are very non judgmental and respect every jew. Having said that I love having all shomer shabbos kids in my kids class.

Thanks

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 3:53 pm
Congrats on the move. I'm going to a bit honest and harsh here.

What you want for high school doesn't exist. Maybe it will by the time your kids are in high school but I would say that such a school doesn't really exist. Mby is trying to be that but I have not heard good things about their secular studies.
I'm also not sure what you mean by the fact that yavneh kids go to "very secular schools." Unless you consider a modern orthodox school "very secular" I'm not sure what you mean. Most yavneh kids go to yula, which is a modern orthodox non coed high school. Not sure what's secular about that. And if you consider a modern orthodox school "very secular" then you are not just plain frum.

Why don't you just focus on elementary school and then you can see what makes sense for high school when you get there?

The student body will differ from class to class but I would assume that basically all kids at both schools come from shomer Shabbat families.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 4:29 pm
OP... Im really into the vegan lifestyle

Having said that I love steak and potatoes for dinner Surprised

agreer

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 5:47 pm
Ohr Eliyahu is very nonjudgmental and while they advocate less/no TV, they are okay with the student body watching it.

However...it's not a very strict school, behaviorwise.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 6:39 pm
It's MO and nice parent body.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 7:33 pm
Sounds like your kids would fit in just fine and normal at ohr eliyahu

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 7:46 pm
It's been a very long time... but my sons went to Ohr Eliyahu and it's an excellent school. Back then it was predominantly MO but over time has shifted a bit to the right. Secular studies were outstanding; one of my sons became a National Merit Finalist/Scholar. They both went to yeshivish high schools, Beis Medrash, and beyond. One is at BMG now.

Anonymous because of so much personal info but if you recognize me: Wave hi to you too!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
It's MO and nice parent body.

It's NOT MO. Yavneh is MO.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
It's NOT MO. Yavneh is MO.

Correct, but originally OEA (now YOE?) was MO. My sons went there nearly 20 years ago..

SRB

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 2:52 am
Im a current Yavneh parent. We also looked at Ohr Eliyahu. Yavneh calls its self "right of center" - it's on the more conservative side of MO. For example, kids say Ha Tikvah and Pledge of Allegiance every morning. Kids get Thanksgiving vacation. The handbook strongly suggests monitoring what your kids are exposed to in media. Lots of moms in carpool cover their hair partially like with a baseball hat. The kids learn STEM, about the presidential election, the secular academics are very strong. Most kids go to YULA the MO high school. Ohr Eliyahu is more to the right hashkaficly - most if not all women cover their hair fully. Secular studies are not as strong. It's a smaller school. Many BT parents. Don't think they get Thanksgiving vacation or have major school activities for Yom HaAtztmaut like Yavneh does. Kids are more "sheltered" from media. Yavneh is a bit more expensive. Kids at Ohr Eliyahu mostly go to more yeshivish high schools like Bais Yakkov, yeshiva Gadolah, MBY. You need to visit the schools. For me a lot depends on when YOUR CHILD will do best. You should visit the schools. Pm me if you would like. Good luck.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 11:58 am
amother wrote:
Congrats on the move. I'm going to a bit honest and harsh here.

What you want for high school doesn't exist. Maybe it will by the time your kids are in high school but I would say that such a school doesn't really exist. Mby is trying to be that but I have not heard good things about their secular studies.
I'm also not sure what you mean by the fact that yavneh kids go to "very secular schools." Unless you consider a modern orthodox school "very secular" I'm not sure what you mean. Most yavneh kids go to yula, which is a modern orthodox non coed high school. Not sure what's secular about that. And if you consider a modern orthodox school "very secular" then you are not just plain frum.

Why don't you just focus on elementary school and then you can see what makes sense for high school when you get there?

The student body will differ from class to class but I would assume that basically all kids at both schools come from shomer Shabbat families.
e

Thanks Green!!I didn't mean to say Yula is a reform school.I know its MO. I was more referring to the parent body and how liberal the kids are. Like dating, drugs. I was told those issues are a big concern at that school.

From what I know as a mom your kids will want to go to the same high school as their friends. So I am not sure if Yula is what I would like for my sons and I don;t know how easy or not it is for my kids to go to different schools.

Although, I was also told that younger grades are more to the right at Yavneh than the older grades.

Both are great schools from what I understand.

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
e

Thanks Green!!I didn't mean to say Yula is a reform school.I know its MO. I was more referring to the parent body and how liberal the kids are. Like dating, drugs. I was told those issues are a big concern at that school.

From what I know as a mom your kids will want to go to the same high school as their friends. So I am not sure if Yula is what I would like for my sons and I don;t know how easy or not it is for my kids to go to different schools.

Although, I was also told that younger grades are more to the right at Yavneh than the older grades.

Both are great schools from what I understand.

Re- yula: The parent body and the kids are not liberal, they are modern orthodox. Drugs are a problem everywhere, sorry to break that to you. I don't think any parents want their kids doing drugs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in every school. Socializing between guys and girls in high school is normal and acceptable in the modern orthodox community.

It sounds like you are not modern orthodox, in which case ohr eliyahu is a better fit for you since yavneh is a modern orthodox school and ohr eliyahu is not.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
Re- yula: The parent body and the kids are not liberal, they are modern orthodox. Drugs are a problem everywhere, sorry to break that to you. I don't think any parents want their kids doing drugs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in every school. Socializing between guys and girls in high school is normal and acceptable in the modern orthodox community.

It sounds like you are not modern orthodox, in which case ohr eliyahu is a better fit for you since yavneh is a modern orthodox school and ohr eliyahu is not.

I think the definition is modern orthodox is very vague these days. I have visitied man many MO school all around the country and believe me they are very very different!!!! You will be suprrised to see how right wing some of the MO schools are in NJ for instance versus how left wing some of the schools are in many other cities where majority is not shomer shabbat. Some parents send their kids to MO schools just because thats the best option for them when it comes to education and not because they are modern orthodox themselves. So I think I learned my lesson very very well when it comes to this topic. But I respect your input one hundred percent.
I would def call ourselves MO but that doesnt mean I want my kids to be in a school where s-xual activity is very acceptable!! And thats is the case in the MO school where I live right now. Yula might not be that way and that is what I would love to know.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 11:15 am
YOE IS NOT MO! They are right wing but flexible in that they don't shame parents for working, wearing a blue shirt or for not being in chinuch/ rabbanus (unfortunately, there are schools out there, in LA even, that are like that). They realize some watch secular TV/media but it isn't allowed at school. No secular stuff on backpacks etc. big focus on middos and developing the kid as a whole. Tuition is expensive but the student body doesn't necessarily come from super wealthy families.
Excellent education in both Kodesh and Chol. Kids go to BYLA and MBY plus yeshiva gedola.

Yavneh- not all kids dress tzniyusly (long sleeves, skirts below knees- I am not talking about tights. No one there pretty much wears tights). Even in school- uniform isn't always strictly enforced... Kids go to YULA after. Some girls do go to BYLA.
They are MO, do Yom Haatzmaut events, younger kids every day say the pledge of allegiance and then sing hatikvah, hallel on Yom Haatzmaut.
Much wealthier student body, more expensive tuition. A nice percentage have expensive vacations- Israel, Pesach programs, sleep away camp.
The best education pretty much in secular in frum schools. Amazing Kodesh as well.

amother
Green

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
I think the definition is modern orthodox is very vague these days. I have visitied man many MO school all around the country and believe me they are very very different!!!! You will be suprrised to see how right wing some of the MO schools are in NJ for instance versus how left wing some of the schools are in many other cities where majority is not shomer shabbat. Some parents send their kids to MO schools just because thats the best option for them when it comes to education and not because they are modern orthodox themselves. So I think I learned my lesson very very well when it comes to this topic. But I respect your input one hundred percent.
I would def call ourselves MO but that doesnt mean I want my kids to be in a school where s-xual activity is very acceptable!! And thats is the case in the MO school where I live right now. Yula might not be that way and that is what I would love to know.

You should realize that people here went to yula and send their kids to yula. Be careful what you say about a school. There is no frum school where zxual activity is very acceptable. There is probably also no frum school that can honestly tell you that none of the kids have ever engaged in zxual activity or drugs. Teenagers can act out but that's not the schools fault, and that happens in every type of school. Yula is a non coed modern orthodox school. Kids typically go to yeshiva post high school for one year and then go to college. Families are shomer shabbos. Most families identify as modern orthodox. Not everyone from yavneh goes to yula. The high schools have all changed a lot in the past few years with new administration etc so it's hard to know what they will look like in the next few years. The more you write the more I think ohr eliyahu is a better fit for you.

amother
Green

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
YOE IS NOT MO! They are right wing but flexible in that they don't shame parents for working, wearing a blue shirt or for not being in chinuch/ rabbanus (unfortunately, there are schools out there, in LA even, that are like that). They realize some watch secular TV/media but it isn't allowed at school. No secular stuff on backpacks etc. big focus on middos and developing the kid as a whole. Tuition is expensive but the student body doesn't necessarily come from super wealthy families.
Excellent education in both Kodesh and Chol. Kids go to BYLA and MBY plus yeshiva gedola.

Yavneh- not all kids dress tzniyusly (long sleeves, skirts below knees- I am not talking about tights. No one there pretty much wears tights). Even in school- uniform isn't always strictly enforced... Kids go to YULA after. Some girls do go to BYLA.
They are MO, do Yom Haatzmaut events, younger kids every day say the pledge of allegiance and then sing hatikvah, hallel on Yom Haatzmaut.
Much wealthier student body, more expensive tuition. A nice percentage have expensive vacations- Israel, Pesach programs, sleep away camp.
The best education pretty much in secular in frum schools. Amazing Kodesh as well.

Modern orthodox tzniut doesn't require long sleeves and tights so obviously that's not how most kids dress at yavneh.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:14 pm
And it is very possible to go to a different school than your classmates. LA is not 100% on feeder schools. Ok, Cheder will likely stay in their system. Chanda too (girls may go to BYLA but few switch into chabad fir high school). You won't see many Hillel go to Yeshiva Gedola or Toras Emes to YULA but the schools in the middle are quite flexible.

What are your priorities for elementary and HS? Where do you see them in 15 years?
Also, what grades are your kids? YOE is hard to get into if you aren't starting in nursery (youngest grade).

amother
Puce

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
Modern orthodox tzniut doesn't require long sleeves and tights so obviously that's not how most kids dress at yavneh.

I was trying to define the school... I know tights are not required and I said that. Girls do not all wear skirts below the knee and out of school are more likely to be seen in pants or short skirts than someone from YOE (strict on tzniyus/uniform).

ValleyMom

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 6:15 pm
The BEST way to decide on a school for your child is to:

Go on their web site, read their mission statement, see what extra curricular activities are available, read each teachers philosophy etc.
Then, make an appointment to visit the school and sit in the classroom with children that are your children' age: If your child is a rising 5th grader go sit in the 4th grade classes to see what the typical kids are like and also sit ion the 5th grade to see get feel for the teachers.

THEN see if you can talk to the kids in the class "Why do you enjoy the school etc.

Try to get a room mothers phone number so you can ask her questions

ValleyMom

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 6:22 pm
I've been in chinuch for a long time and I very sorry to say that EVERY high school these past few years have shown evidence of drug abuse...yes, even in Bais Yaakov and Bais Madrash... People- heroin and oxycontin are both DRUGS.

NEVER leave your medicine cabinets when your teen age friends come over- YOU are responsible if they overdose on medication left over from your recent back surgery, wisdom teeth taken out etc.

Home Depot actually sells LOCK BOX Medicine Cabinets for the bathroom so when your teenager brings friends over everyone is safe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating