Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Heter to fly on Shabbat
Previous  1  2

MiracleMama

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
And if she converted just because Kushner wanted to marry a Jew then her whole being 'Jewish' is big sofek.

That's really not appropriate to this topic nor is it a very nice thing to speculate.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 12:05 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
That's really not appropriate to this topic nor is it a very nice thing to speculate.

To me this means she doesn't need a 'heter' to fly. And then this discussion isn't relevant at all.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
And if she converted just because Kushner wanted to marry a Jew then her whole being 'Jewish' is big sofek.

Above, I mentioned that I'm neither a rabbi nor a rabba. But I do remember learning that once someone converts, they are a Jew. End. Period. Full stop. And that one may never again raise the fact of her conversion.

Thus, according to what I have learned, while Ivanka has a heter, you don't, and your words are completely contrary to halacha.

Since you think frum-shaming is appropriate, I figure its OK to apply it to you.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 12:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Above, I mentioned that I'm neither a rabbi nor a rabba. But I do remember learning that once someone converts, they are a Jew. End. Period. Full stop. And that one may never again raise the fact of her conversion.

Thus, according to what I have learned, while Ivanka has a heter, you don't, and your words are completely contrary to halacha.

Since you think frum-shaming is appropriate, I figure its OK to apply it to you.

I thought this was a place where everyone can voice views.
Ok ok. I will pull back for the sake of not shaming another jew.
I am publicly asking Ivanka for mechila.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 12:27 pm
I really do not like Ivanka or her husband. Well, they may be wonderful and charming people, I've never met them. But I do not like Donald Trump and I do not like that they helped get him elected. Ivanka, I get it, its her father. But Kushner gave Trump some serious help.

Having said that, I don't see this heter as so far fetched. If Joe Leiberman would have become VP I'm sure we would have seen a lot of this type of thing.

EmpireState

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:13 pm
Why is this any of our concern?
And since when is everything that the media reports 100 percent accurate?

farm

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
never got a heter.
then again, never asked :-)

I stopped using the words orthodox a long time ago. I much prefer the term Torah Jew. I think it is more descriptive of the type of Jew I am trying to be.

Music Music
OH you have to go to shul
Oh you have to go to school
Everyday
Cuz if you are a Torah Jew then these are things you have to do
Everyday Music Music

farm

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:34 pm
Immediate reaction to thread title: see what happens when you get a heter to attend your graduation on Shabbos...

tichellady

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:53 pm
I really don't see what good comes out of criticizing people for the heters they get. What do you think you are going to accomplish here? I think you should focus on our own decisions and actions, because that is where you can actually effect change.

princessleah

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 2:32 pm
Don't worry, it's all "fake news" anyway, perpetuated by the liberal anti-Semitic mainstream media.

But really, I can see that if they need to go on the trip, and Air Force One is flying on Shabbat, and it is a sakana for them to not fly Air Force One due to security concerns. That's my guess.
Senator Lieberman walked once to the Capitol for an important vote on Shabbat, but even though he walked, he was still "working" on Shabbat. I assume he had the proper heter in place as well, and wouldn't question it.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 3:59 pm
I really don't understand this. Why can't we just let things be? The beis hamikdash was destroyed for sinas chinam even though we were violating shabbos during that time period.

I'm not a senior advisor that has to make this choice. The president has the ability to make a mess of something very important to our people. If you were Trump's orthodox jewish daughter and you know who your father was, what decision would you make? We aren't in their place and don't have to make such a decision. I honestly don't know what choice I would make because I'm not in their position. And, you know what, at the end of the day, if you were in her place, maybe you would make her decision. You don't know because you aren't her.

We don't need to worry about her religiousness, that is between her and Hashem.

The hearts and minds of our leaders and in Hashem's hand. A better question would be how much free will does she have given her position in this government? Is this an action out of free will?

Miri7

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 4:55 pm
First - I'm not going to shame Ivanka and Jared for their manner of observance. I cartainly don't want a public discussion of my own.

I've noticed that when these articles come out about them or Joe Lieberman's observance, that non-Jewish acquaintances (coworkers, etc) will ask me about Shabbat and halacha. I like that the articles provoke this kind of inquiry and chance to share about Judaism. A lot of people are interested and surprised to learn about the complexity of Halacha. So I try to focus on the good to come out of these types of articles.

imasoftov

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 2:29 pm
Navy amother wrote:
I thought this was a place where everyone can voice views.
Ok ok. I will pull back for the sake of not shaming another jew.
I am publicly asking Ivanka for mechila.

I have no opinion about the subject of this thread or whether or not you should ask for mechila, but I wonder if
1) a statement which would be an apology if delivered in person is still an apology if the object of the statement does not hear it
2) leaving the disparaging comments in place detracts from the apology

icebreaker

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 10:45 pm
LOL LOL

treestump wrote:
Given her father's foot in mouth disease, she may very well be saving all of our lives by babysitting him in the Middle East.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:
I would not travel to Saudi Arabia or Even Turkey or Dubai. It's not safe.

For that matter, when did Saudi Arabia start admitting Jews to the country?

amother
Navy

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:13 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I have no opinion about the subject of this thread or whether or not you should ask for mechila, but I wonder if
1) a statement which would be an apology if delivered in person is still an apology if the object of the statement does not hear it
2) leaving the disparaging comments in place detracts from the apology

These questions prompt a new thread.
Don't worry, there are enough ohav yisroel's here that will know how to pasken lchumra.
The irony on ima is to witness when the ahavas yisroel flares up in some.

elisheva25

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:21 pm
icebreaker wrote:
LOL LOL

This is really funny !!!!

elisheva25

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:22 pm
I meant the original quote about Ivanka babysitting Trump

imasoftov

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 7:09 am
amother wrote:
These questions prompt a new thread.
Don't worry, there are enough ohav yisroel's here that will know how to pasken lchumra.
The irony on ima is to witness when the ahavas yisroel flares up in some.

I'm sure that in some way relates to what I said.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 8:55 am
http://www.israelnationalnews......29929
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics