Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need summer fun ideas in tri state area!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:56 am
Looking for new not so well known ideas of fun day trips to take family this summer in tri state area! Would travel 1.5 hours from Lakewood. Kids ages 2-12. No beach/water ideas unless they're very quiet because don't want to take my boys to a bikini scene.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 9:12 am
I take my kids to Philly every single year for the past 5 years! there are kosher food and shuls, and since its so close to lakewood, barely anyone goes! (Ive been to Lancaster and New Hampshire which is swarming with jews. Philly is empty!) its only 90 minutes from lkwd which means that you can easily make a day trip. There is Please touch museum, Philadelphia Zoo, Franklin Institute and Camden Aqaurium (which is in Camden which is right near philly).

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 12:44 pm
Fort Delware is a full day trip about 1.5 hrs from Lakewood - you take a ferry to an island where there is a fort and people dressed up. It is fantastic. There is a picnic are, playground and forts to explore in the parking area.

Longstreet farm\holmdel park - look out for days with demos or go during milking time

Look up the Monmouth County Park book - there are so many fantastic free activities over the summer. We have already done a few (like 25' rock wall climbing)

Monmouth county has a Grist mill my kids really like

Washington Crossing (was never there - but if you like that type of thing)

Cape May zoo

Barnegat Bay lighthouse (not sure if it is a problem in the summer)

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 12:49 pm
(a lot of my ideas depend on your kids likes and personalities - my kids love learning and seeing things in action and old stuff - so not everyone will go for all my ideas)

Atlantic City Recycling Plant - My kids found it really cool - we spent a lot of time there.
Diggerland
Staten Island Ferry to:
- Battery Park
- Governer's Island
Trenton Planetarium and tour the state house
Safari backpacks at Huber Woods Park (or a different Monmouth park) - has a great nature center but really for 6 and under prob - make a stop at Mount Mitchel Overlook: https://www.monmouthcountypark.....px?Id=3963
Allaire state park with a stop at Atlantic Farms(with biking, nature center, old village, train and picnic its a full day, no playground)
Eastern State penitentiary
MOnmoth County fair

Last edited by sky on Thu, May 18 2017, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 12:52 pm
Duke gardens - you can read about it on Great frum trips (or something like that).
Its better with bikes though - we brought - when we got there - there was a long wait for bikes so either bring or get there early.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:05 pm
Thank you! Keep em coming!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
I take my kids to Philly every single year for the past 5 years! there are kosher food and shuls, and since its so close to lakewood, barely anyone goes! (Ive been to Lancaster and New Hampshire which is swarming with jews. Philly is empty!) its only 90 minutes from lkwd which means that you can easily make a day trip. There is Please touch museum, Philadelphia Zoo, Franklin Institute and Camden Aqaurium (which is in Camden which is right near philly).

We prefer more out door oriented trips in the summer. Would go to a museum here or there but love the outdoors! Anything outdoors to do around there?

Maya

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 10:33 pm
Are there good hiking trails in your area?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 10:43 pm
Could be that's tough bec have a 2 year old. Prefer she can stay in carriage for most things.

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 11:09 pm
I was going to say a baby carrier gives you a lot more flexibility - but if a 2 year old is heavy it could be hard. But if your baby is on the smaller side it can give you more options.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:43 am
sky wrote:

Longstreet farm\holmdel park - look out for days with demos or go during milking time

)

Can you give me more info on this? It looks like milking is only on Saturday mornings... what else is there to do? Not seeing much

sky

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:25 pm
ITs a very small farm. Some weekends or weekdays in the summer they have shearing or spinning demos or other demos.
Other weekends not much more to see - milking, some animal, an old house (my kids like that). Great playground - we like the one on top of the hill with climbing. Some hiking paths that you can take a carriage.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 5:41 pm
Thanks! I'll look out for demos. That sounds great. Right now doesn't look like much but maybe closer they will post more.

sky

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 8:32 pm
Check this out:
https://www.monmouthcountypark.....b.pdf
They have the schedule of the different parks and activities.
LIke JUly 9 there will be a threshing demo in Longstreet Farm
August 13 there is 25' wall climbing in Thompson park (hopefully I'm not giving away so of our quiet free activities - Thompson park also has amazing winter snow activities)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics