Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Normal bedtime for 10 yr old

LO

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:09 am
My 10 yr old daughter has been having trouble falling asleep. I try to have her in bed by 8, and after that my husband or I sometimes lay down with her, but she still keeps complaining that she is not tired at all and she is not sleepy.

I am wondering if this is too early (although I don't think so because she is tired in the morning). What time do your 10 year olds go to sleep?

If not, can you tell me your experiences with teaching a kid to rest in bed and get herself sleepy? She was on melatonin for a while and was ok after we stopped, so I would rather not go back to that...

egam

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:32 am
What time does she wakes up?
My DS's doctor said he can go to sleep at 9. He wakes up around 7.

LO

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:33 am
Same - usually before 7. If she is up late, then around 7:30...

mommyla

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:35 am
My 8-year-old goes to sleep at 8. Maybe it's too early for her. Do you let her read or listen to music in bed?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:35 am
Can she do something relaxing in bed by herself before she goes to sleep (like maybe read a book/listen to soft music)? I bring up my 9 year old with my younger kids @ 7 PM, but don't expect him to fall asleep for another hour & a half, but he plays a little with his legos, reads a book, etc - I feel it's like winding down time before sleeping & it basically works ok.

LO

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:37 am
I do let her read for a little while, but not sure when I should insist on lights out. I don't mind if once in a while she really can't fall asleep and then reads some more, but when it happens every night, it makes me wonder if she is just lacking the skills to calm herself down, or if I am putting her to bed too early....

Blessing1

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:41 am
9-9:30 is normal bed time for that age. Especially if she claims she's not tired & doesn't fall asleep.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:47 am
LO wrote:
Same - usually before 7. If she is up late, then around 7:30...

Most 10 year olds need 9 to 11 hours of sleep, although some may need only 7 to 8 hours.

So if she needs to wake up at 7, I'd see if it helps to let her go to bed at 9, and let her wind down in her room by reading until 9:30.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:49 am
From my experience with neighbors and friends I don't know of any ten year olds that go to bed before 9 930. My 9.5 year old goes between 830 and 9 and I know that's on The early side

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 11:27 am
My 10.5 yo has to be in pajamas by 9 and in bed by 9:30. She puts on music at that point and will sometimes read for a few minutes (we don't have an official lights out time but generally not more than 15-30 min). It is not unusual for her to still be awake at 10:30, but I feel that as long as she is laying down in bed her body is resting.
She get up around 7/7:30 on school mornings. She does have a hard time getting up, but once she does, she is fine. On Sunday she can easily sleep till noon.

sky

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 11:34 am
We start showers at 8. But he doesn't get into bed for sleep until about 8:45\9:00.
I feel like 9 is already late.

LO

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 11:38 am
Wow, glad I asked! I guess it's not very realistic of me to expect the 8 pm bedtime....Thanks, everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children