Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
17/18 month old

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 11:33 pm
Want to TRY getting started with my little one.
It it OK to just introduce the idea of a potty now? Or will that confuse him later on?

also any book recommendations for teaching a child this young to go on the potty? Is it better to get a little potty or sit on a small seat on the adult one? (how do they eventually transition from the kiddie potty to the "regular" one?)

crust

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 11:40 pm
Is he talking?
Can he express himself?
An 18 month old is a Gumol; a nursing BABY.
Have mercy.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 12:09 am
My oldest showed interest in the toilet at 20 months. Any time he said he wanted to use the toilet I let him. I didn't fully train him until he was 2 1/2. I put a seat on top of the actual seat. The small potties gross me out.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 1:28 am
crust wrote:
Is he talking?
Can he express himself?
An 18 month old is a Gumol; a nursing BABY.
Have mercy.

mercy? I'm not planning on torturing him. I think it's something he'd be interested in. And if not then so be it, I can try again in the future. And to answer your questions no he is not "talking" yet but he expresses himself VERY well.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 1:36 am
mha3484 wrote:
My oldest showed interest in the toilet at 20 months. Any time he said he wanted to use the toilet I let him. I didn't fully train him until he was 2 1/2. I put a seat on top of the actual seat. The small potties gross me out.

so mine is deff. interested in the toilet, just not so much in going to bathroom on the toilet. He "asks" (not in words) to go on the toilet (we have a small seat on it) but once on there he just reads and asks to play with his bath toys, not actually going to the bathroom.
I guess I'm thinking maybe he'd be more comfortable going to the potty on one of those little potty things (totally gross me out too btw) since he can get on it himself and his feat will be resting on something .Or maybe he just isn't ready to go anywhere other then in his diaper?
btw he does know what the toilet is for. And he does know (and lets us know) when his diaper needs changing.
Do you think it's OK for me to put him on the toilet since he wants to go on sometimes even though he's just reading on there? Is that exposure good for him or is it bad since he's just associating the toilet with reading?

seeker

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 2:42 am
I'm in favor of getting a little potty chair and seeing if he's interested in the idea. My girls enjoyed sitting on the potty with their pants down looking at books at that age. They were very interested and excited by the idea. They did not get sick of it even though they weren't ready to actually start using the potty for another few months.

I would suggest starting by just putting a potty in the bathroom and letting it be part of the furniture. No need to push it at this age but once it's part of the furniture it won't seem like a big scary deal later on, the baby will just be used to the idea that this is something there that one day he will get to use.

And definitely potty books are appropriate. Who cares if he might not understand them, reading to kids of any age is a good idea and there are some nice simple ones. We liked the one by Maxine Chambliss (I may not be getting the name exactly right) - "My big boy/girl potty" but I remember having some equally good simple ones when my nieces and nephews were of age, I just don't remember what they were.

sky

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 7:43 am
mha3484 wrote:

So you were really training him for 10 months? What is the point of spending so long on it? Why not just do it when the kid is fully ready in one day?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training