Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
How to keep my hydrangeas over Yom tov

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:56 pm
How can I get my arrangement to last as long as possible ? Has hydrangeas which I really didn't want but hubby picked it up for me and didn't realize ; (

crust

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:57 pm
Ask Mr Google. he's soo nice!!

sky

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:04 pm
I once read to stick them upside down in water to re-hydrate them- but double check that.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:27 pm
Trim the stems. Put a drop of dish detergent and a few drops of bleach in the water. The color may fade but the blossoms won't drop.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:28 pm
Give it a cut before puting it into warm water. Enjoy

Maya

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:36 pm
sky wrote:
I once read to stick them upside down in water to re-hydrate them- but double check that.

This is what my florist recommends.

bargainlover

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 1:05 pm
Bumping this up. My husband brought home an arrangement with tons of hydrangeas and I want it to last!!

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 1:57 pm
Listerine in the water. It kills the germs on contact. Seriously - it makes flowers last longer. They smell like listerine, but look pretty.

Aspirin doesn't work as well but extends the life of flowers and doesn't smell like medicine.

Did DH remember to pick up plant food?

The water needs to be refilled often. If you have a [gentile] around, they can do it.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 2:44 pm
Squishy wrote:
Listerine in the water. It kills the germs on contact. Seriously - it makes flowers last longer. They smell like listerine, but look pretty.

Aspirin doesn't work as well but extends the life of flowers and doesn't smell like medicine.

Did DH remember to pick up plant food?

The water needs to be refilled often. If you have a [gentile] around, they can do it.

Have you tried listerine specifically with hydrangeas? Also do you think scope would work the same way?

yksraya

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 2:47 pm
You need to water the flowers too not just fill the vase. I don't know if they would last for 3 days tho.

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 2:56 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Have you tried listerine specifically with hydrangeas? Also do you think scope would work the same way?

I first heard of listerine 30 years ago. At that point in time, it was only listerine that worked. I used to stick in in my office bouquets. I can't remember specifically hows long hydrangeas lasted. Sorry.

DH sent me hydrangeas this past May. I wasn't excited about them. They lasted about 4 days with plant food. They did come from a florist, so there is hope.

I just googled this. It sounds hopeful:

https://www.thehappierhomemake.....geas/

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 3:22 pm
Cut the stems on an angle. The shorter they're cut, the longer they last. Shpritz the actual flowers with water.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 3:28 pm
Squishy wrote:
I first heard of listerine 30 years ago. At that point in time, it was only listerine that worked. I used to stick in in my office bouquets. I can't remember specifically hows long hydrangeas lasted. Sorry.

DH sent me hydrangeas this past May. I wasn't excited about them. They lasted about 4 days with plant food. They did come from a florist, so there is hope.

I just googled this. It sounds hopeful:

https://www.thehappierhomemake.....geas/

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics