Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who saw The Wedding Plan and what did you think?
1  2  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:08 pm
I just saw it last night - I thought it was good - much better than Fill the Void because it was more complicated. My husband enjoyed it as well and said that it was "fun." I wonder how single people feel about it. When I was single I saw Bridget Jones Diary and I thought it was fun and encouraging.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:02 pm
I saw it. Thought it was weird. The while time kept wondering what the non jews in the audience were thinking (hafrashas challah, mikvah, etc).

cnc

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:03 pm
Is this a movie?
Can you tell me more about it?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:41 pm
It is on YouTube. I found it incredible and totally contrived. I'm not a big fan of ROCO.

zaq

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 7:24 pm
What's ROCO?

fmt4

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 7:27 pm
My parents saw it and LOVED it.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:03 pm
zaq wrote:
What's ROCO?

Romantic comedies. I don't think that this would get categorized as a comedy but it was one of those romantic contrived films.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:07 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Romantic comedies. I don't think that this would get categorized as a comedy but it was one of those romantic contrived films.

Oh. I think most people use the shortened form rom-com. Never heard of ROCO and I watch a lot of TV/Movies!

treestump

Post Wed, May 31 2017, 2:20 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It is on YouTube. I found it incredible and totally contrived. I'm not a big fan of ROCO.

Can you share a link? I don't see it on Youtube and it's not the kind of movie I'd go to the theater for.

etky

Post Wed, May 31 2017, 3:00 pm
I saw it in October and I loved it.
I am not a fan of romantic comedies at all but this film, although it obviously belongs to this genre, is also so much more.
It deals with heavy issues like the role of faith in our lives, belief in oneself, the importance of marriage as a goal for a woman (or not..) etc.
I thought Noa Koller's acting was brilliant and I love that the film provided a light hearted and non-judgmental glimpse into certain sectors of Israeli haredi society, its values and life style.
All in all it was very enjoyable and thought provoking.
I saw "The Women's Balcony" at about the same time. I also enjoyed that film and recommend it to those who like Israeli comedy or films that deal with women in the religious realm, but I think that The Wedding Plan is a much more sophisticated and nuanced work.

saramalka

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 4:10 am
How can one see it?

chag334

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 9:30 pm
Following

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 12:18 am
Can someone post the YouTube link
Can't find one that's working
Would love to watch it

momosix

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:06 am
The wedding plan is currently playing in theaters in and around New York City. Anyone who was single for an extended period can identify with the movie, even non-Jews. The longing to get married, build a home, love and be loved are universal. of course, it is a foreign film if you are an American and certain nuances might be missed, but they do not impact upon the ability to enjoy the movie. For example, the movie sheds light on the not uncommon phenomenon of irreligious men being fascinated by religious women, mostly superficially.

In contrast with The Women's Balcony, the Wedding Plan is respectful of Charedi practices and portrays the characters as flawed but human. In the Woman's Balcony, every negative stereotype of Charedi men is hurled at the viewer. I was particularly disturbed by a small scene where a Charedi Rabbi bumps into a woman with an umbrella, looks at her and does not say a word. The Charedi Rabbi is portrayed not only as being insensitive to women, but as a crook. Other Charedim are portrayed as suscpicous of all other Jews, even religious ones, and as automatons who blindly follow their Rebbe. I attended a viewing of the film with the director/writer. She grew up religious but left the fold at 18. She lamented the fact that the Sephardic religious neighborhood she grew up in was taken over by Charedim. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the content of the movie and enjoyed the fact that the heros and heroines of the movie were religious, albeit not Charedi.

chag334

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 2:02 pm
Link?

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 2:12 pm
cbg wrote:
Can someone post the YouTube link
Can't find one that's working
Would love to watch it

Its not on youtube. You have to go to a movie theater.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:16 pm
You can get it on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it very much.
All along I felt like some of the actors looked familiar, then at the end I saw that they were from Srugim.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:52 pm
Not sure why we’re bringing this up now, a year after it was in theaters, but ok. I Loved it. Totally unrealistic but hey, IMO movies are for fun and entertainment, not to portray real life. For that, we have the six o’ clock news. On the rare occasions I go out to see a film, I WANT it to be a comical fairy tale with a happy ending.

Amazing lead actress. Could express a book with a twitch of a single facial muscle. I can’t figure out how she does that.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 12:42 am
Quote:
Not sure why we’re bringing this up now
Well, because the conversation about Disobedience referenced it so I checked it out.

Yes, I like clean romance...

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:36 am
It was a nice movie. I saw it a few months ago at a secular Jewish film festival in my town with a discussion afterwards. Interesting to see how the religious Israeli culture of shidduch dating was so exotic and strange to most of the audience, where for me it was completely familiar. I enjoyed watching a positive presentation of a society I have experience with and feel deeply connected to, and the main actress was very good.

It’s also available on Hulu at the moment.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics