Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Flu day before yt. Guest invited. Wwyd?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:39 am
I came down with the nastiest flu/ virus yesterday. Every bone is on fire and achy. Can't eat. Fell asleep at 7 yesterday bc I was so weak and pain woke me up now. Thing is I've invited my sil for meal and am supposed to go to mil for two day meals. The way I'm feeling now it is almost impossible but I can't possibly cancel all plans on erev shavuos. Help!

asp40

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:48 am
Cancel. Aside from you feeling awful, you don't want your guests to be sick as well.

gibberish

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:22 am
asp40 wrote:
Cancel. Aside from you feeling awful, you don't want your guests to be sick as well.

I agree. Also, if you already made the food, I would offer to send them food so they are not left hanging last minute.

grace413

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:30 am
Actually, you can and should cancel the plans.

If you feel well enough to be alone you can send the rest of the family to MIL for the meals you planned to go for.

Refuah Shlaimah.

Eemaof3

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 6:21 am
Cancel and send food if possible. I had kids get very ill one Shabbat night and showed up at my neighbor's door the next AM with the food I was supposed to serve her family for lunch that day. Weird but better than getting yourself sicker and guests sick. Refuah shlemah!!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 7:06 am
EXACT same thing happened to me. I had guests lined up and got really sick. I had a whole elaborate menu planned. I sent all of my guests a text letting htem now I was sick and that I don't want them to catch it so if they don't want to come, I understand. one guest said 'feel better, see u another time' but actually 2 of my guests said they would still come if I didn't mind ( maybe I didn't describe how I was feeling precisely enough, who knows) - they both know that I have a lot of kids and have to provide meals whether guests come or not. I actually wasn't so thrilled, b/c it gives me a little pressure to make my menu nicer when would my kids would be happy with the basics, but whatever. please g-d I should strong again soon. refuah shelaimah to you too!

Nechamie

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 7:23 am
The mentchlich thing to do is CANCEL. For your sake and their sake. Don't think twice or feel guilty. It's the right thing to do. You need to get better and they do not need to catch the flu from you!

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 7:31 am
We are all getting over the worst flu virus now so I know how you are feeling and I hope your able to stay in bed and just recover (erev yt- wishful thinking Wink ).
About your guest- tell them you have the flu virus and it's extremely contagious- I would much rather run out today and buy food for a meal rather than risk my family getting sick from our hostess.
And for the meals your invited out- can you just send your husband and kids (as long as they are symptom free)? If more of you start to not feel well maybe your inlaws can just send the food over to you.
I really hope you feel better soon and stock up on ice pops- that's the only thing that my kids would eat and I think it made them feel good while their fever was high.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
I came down with the nastiest flu/ virus yesterday. Every bone is on fire and achy. Can't eat. Fell asleep at 7 yesterday bc I was so weak and pain woke me up now. Thing is I've invited my sil for meal and am supposed to go to mil for two day meals. The way I'm feeling now it is almost impossible but I can't possibly cancel all plans on erev shavuos. Help!

Refuah shleima.

Sure, you can cancel.

Given how sick you feel, I certainly wouldn't want to be within 100 yards of you (no offense intended). And I wouldn't eat anything you cooked. I'm sure your SIL feels the same way. Call, or have your DH call, and explain the situation. Chances are she can go to your MIL, or make her own meal. (If she's really stuck, and your family is really stuck, your husband need to cook or get takeout, and serve as the host while you stay in bed, taking care of yourself.)

As to your MIL, if the rest of your family isn't sick, let them go, so you can rest. If you're feeling better, you'll go with them. Just warn her in advance that you're not feelng well, you're not going to be there unless you're feeling better.

I am, FTR, the imamother on another thread whose oven broke yesterday. I cancelled my guests. I can only do what I can do, and cooking without an oven isn't possible. Likewise, you can't cook and host while ill.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:01 am
I feel terrible to cancel. Sil is divorced with kids and was really counting on it. However I am so weak I could barely stand so I'll listen to all of you guys and cancel.
I kvetched non stop about cooking hosting and shlepping to in laws for meals and a m now stuck in bed so be careful what yo u wish for guys..

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:05 am
This happened to me one time. I came in and was informed that the host "may be sick" . Sure enough my whole family got a nasty stomach bug and I was do upset. Offer her if she wants, she can come

zaq

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:11 am
[quote="amother"]I feel terrible to cancel. quote]

You and sil will both feel a lot worse if she catches the flu from you.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:25 pm
My very thoughtful friend let me know her family had the stomach virus going around. I cancelled, grateful that the she let me know!

Def. cancel... or tell her and hopefully she has enough brains to cancel.

lucky14

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:38 pm
You made the right decision. I would be so upset if I went to someone's house and they were so sick but didn't tell me before. I appreciate when people call to let us know they even have a cold and ask if we still want to come. Feel better!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:54 pm
Cancel duh!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:

Thank you for posting this!!! I found out I had strep a two about noon on erev shavuos and I felt doc bad cancelling on my guests, but this gave me chizzuk! (They were obviously totally fine with it but your whole thread really told me what to do)

I hope you are feeling better!!

Pita

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 10:09 pm
My kids were diagnosed with strep the morning of Pesach Seder. We cancelled, and everyone was glad not to be infected. And, to be honest, we had the nicest, calmest Seder ever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics