Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Trump's Tweets
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

What do you think about Trump's tweets?
They're very disturbing  
 33%  [ 56 ]
They're a genius way of manipulating the media  
 6%  [ 11 ]
They're hilarious  
 8%  [ 15 ]
I love that he says exactly what he's thinking  
 8%  [ 14 ]
He says the things I've always believed  
 2%  [ 4 ]
They bother me but I put up with it for the sake of all the good stuff he does  
 2%  [ 5 ]
I don't pay attention to his tweets  
 29%  [ 50 ]
I don't care one way or the other  
 8%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 169

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 3:26 pm
Fox, I did not use absolute terms such as "completely" or "definitely". I do believe it is a considerable deterrant, and one of the best we have.

There are many voices now asking moderate Muslims to do more to make jihad and martyrdom socially and religiously unacceptable. Will it solve the problem? Of course not. Will it deter some young people who crave recognition and fame, if murder won't be perceived as a path to that? Absolutely.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 3:48 pm
Fox wrote:

If you want to be frightened, the work of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission under Obama-appointee Martin Castro offers a lot more material than Trump's tweets:

Quote:
Quote:
The phrases “religious liberty” and “religious freedom” will stand for nothing except hypocrisy so long as they remain code words for discrimination, intolerance, racism, sexism, homophobia, Islamophobia, Christian supremacy or any form of intolerance.

In other words, the USCRC feels it's okay to practice whatever religion you want -- as long as it's not one of those weird religions that refuses to get with the times.

I'll bite. What's wrong with that?

We live in a country where pharmacists are entitled to refuse to fill legitimate prescriptions if doing so violates their "religious beliefs." Why is their "religious right" entitled to trump (no pun intended) my ability to obtain medication?

People claim that they have the "religious right" to refuse to serve people. What about hiring them? If Hobby Lobby is "Christian," then can it, as part of its right to practice its religion, refuse to hire gays, or Muslims, or Jews?

"Religious freedom" should not be used to allow people to discriminate.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 4:54 pm
farm wrote:
I didn't say hateful. I said hurtful. She posted her political opinion and was rebuffed in a super condensending manner where the poster was mocking her as if she wasn't in the room listening in.
But of course, I am interpreting typed words and it could be the poster meant it as a cute light tease.

Edited for typo

I think you both have a point. As far as MY, people need to know that this is the www (wild, wild web) and yeah, they have to be prepared for anything.
BUT I would hope that on a forum of frum women, who aren't just into speaking nicely because it's a kind thing but because there are actually mitzvos about ona'as devorim, one should be able to feel somewhat safe and I wasn't inclined to say anything, I respect farm's erring on the side of caution.

Shoshie

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 7:58 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

A Black friend of mine said "I like my bigots up front where I can see them. Otherwise, they'll just stab you in the back."

In some small towns in the American south, there are still restaurants that have "No Negroes" signs in the window. No problem, he won't give them his money. He said it's much worse in the north, where he'd get lousy service, no coffee refills, and possibly have his food spit on.

I realize this topic is about Trump's tweets, and I'm not trying to derail it, but the sentence I bolded perpetuates a stereotype that I just don't believe is true. I read your comments before I went to work and was hoping someone would pick up on that quote, but I'm back from work and no one has. I'm not doubting your friend said it, but I'm questioning where he found those small towns. The South is racist, to be sure, but I doubt you'd find a sign like that today.

I searched online and found nothing to document some restaurants still have "No Negroes" signs. I did find articles on racist cities, most of them in the North, and Sundown towns, also more in the North than in the South. The most recent article I could find on a "No Negroes allowed" sign was from 2010. The sign was at a "gentlemen's club" in Wisconsin.

The only article I found from 2017 was from Washington state, where the Attorney General sued some companies for writing apartment rental ads in Craig's List requiring applicants to have "No Felonies." The AG said this was discriminatory as Blacks have a higher percentage of convicted felons.

I have lived in quite a few cities in the U.S. and have found Boston to be the most segregated and racist, followed by Chicago.

Okay, I feel better having vented. Sorry, but I couldn't care less about Trump and his Tweets.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 8:14 pm
Shoshie wrote:
I have lived in quite a few cities in the U.S. and have found Boston to be the most segregated and racist, followed by Chicago.

Okay, I feel better having vented. Sorry, but I couldn't care less about Trump and his Tweets.

I spent a bit of time on university business in AL. I even considered living there once I retired. During those years I'd typically extend my business travel and take a few vacation days looking for a locale. I've never seen such a sign, but it's pretty evident that racism exists. I live in a blue state that has racist roots and a huge holdover from the days of the klan.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 8:25 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think you both have a point. As far as MY, people need to know that this is the www (wild, wild web) and yeah, they have to be prepared for anything.
BUT I would hope that on a forum of frum women, who aren't just into speaking nicely because it's a kind thing but because there are actually mitzvos about ona'as devorim, one should be able to feel somewhat safe and I wasn't inclined to say anything, I respect farm's erring on the side of caution.

So can we go so far as to say the president of the US should be held at least to the same standard as random internet commenters?

Blue jay

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 9:33 pm
sheep wrote:
thank you. I see that imamother had the same liberal bullying problem as the other mom blogs. I think I'll just stop commenting.

Don't stop commenting and never feel intimidated! Speak your mind.
Politics brings out the wild divided side of imamother.

But Its the Kugel threads that unite us.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 8:55 am
Jeanette wrote:
So can we go so far as to say the president of the US should be held at least to the same standard as random internet commenters?

Lu yehi.
But I kind of regret my post, or how I phrased it. I didn't want to come across attacking anyone, I don't know if I would have written any of the posts, sympathetic as I might be the same way. The point is WE are not random internet commenters.

(And because I feel that whoever occupies the office deserves a certain level of respect, I will refrain from posting "Trump's Tweets" in the mafia euphemism thread.)
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics