Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What age did you send child to childcare/daycare/school?
Previous  1  2

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 1:36 pm
My son, now around 26 mos, is going to a playgroup in the mornings (esp now bc I have a newborn). I worked in the playgroup almost his whole life, and he came with me. If I had not been working at the beginning of this past school year in the day care, I would have wanted to send him (he was around 17 mos then) bc he was so used to all the kids and stimulation, loved the other morahs, and I didn't have the resources/opportunities to keep him busy and happy at home alone with me...

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 5:34 pm
You're still not distinguishing between daycare (necessary if you want to put food on the table) and playgroup where there's a SAHM.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 7:15 am
Now I remember I went to playgroups between 1 (or 1.5?) and 3 (before kindergarten) a few times a week, but they were groups where the moms could stay and mine always did.

ny21

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 2:48 pm
I had three kids in one year . LOL

I sent them to childcare when they were two years old.

for half the day. 9-12

miriam

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 10:56 pm
shayna82 wrote:
ill do play dates with him. but nowadays the number of kids who are still under 3 and at home, are dwindling shock

I have two kids at home that we could do a playdate with......

raizy

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 11:45 pm
I send my kids to school when they are 2.6 yrs old. but each child started at a different date. I had 1 yrs old go to day care and I had a newborn. (a few hrs every week) for about 15 weeks. till my course finished.

I had my other child start at 21 months bc I was expecting the next and I was so much in the hospital I had no where else to put him and like this I knew that if I had to stay in the hospital at least he was bye his teachers house. who he loved and still loves . he stayed bye her for 2 yrs. till he was 3.5

but then again I am a stay at home working mom. and I dont send out my two youngest kids till they were are 2.6 yrs.

and I work in the day care setting I get from 0 months old till 3 yrs old. they are soo sso young they should be in there mothers hands not mine. and when they smile at me at one months I think to myselve they should be smiling at their mothers not at me.

Mama Shifra

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 9:56 pm
I sent my oldest to school at 2 and my second daughter started school when she was almost 6! My youngest, at age 3, is still at home.

I sent my oldest to school at 2 because I was going crazy! Also, I was trying to finish college, and couldn't do any homework with her around. Later I kept her in school because once you send a child to school, you cannot just take him/her out.

I sent my younger daughter to school later because (1) I had disagreement with the school's philosophy that I did not see resolved (a whole separate post!), and (2) I was upset with the whole peer pressure thing. The younger you send a child to school, in general, the more important peer pressure becomes to the child. Also, the more secure the child feels (which depends on feeling secure that Mom and Dad will take care of my needs when I need them), the better the transition into school. My father said that Rav Hutner, with whom he was close, felt that a child (both boys and girls) should be home with their mothers until age 5.

Of course, most people today don't keep their children home that long, in which case you need to keep in mind the social factor. If most kids in your area are in school for preschool, your child may be extremely lonely!

Shifra

happymom

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:01 pm
Quote:
and when they smile at me at one months I think to myselve they should be smiling at their mothers not at me.

that is sooo sad and makes me feel like crying Crying poor babies. the fact is newborns need toooooonz of attention and need thier mothers. I find it so sad when newborns are in daycare. even sadder then all the other young babies which belong at home as well....

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:02 pm
do u at least give them lots of attention and smile back at them?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:55 pm
I sent my oldest at 20 months for a halt day (9-12:30.) she loved it there and used to fight me not to come home. she wants to go for a whole day now at 2.5 but I don't want to send her. IMO school isn't necessary at all, especially as a SAHM it's really a luxury to be able to send her. and me personally I'm just a bad SAHM so I needed to send her because I can't cope otherwise.

older dd was very independent and thrived but it's not for everyone. my newest toddler is very attached to me. it depends on my job sitch, but I will have to send her at either 18, 22, or 26 months, for a full day. I hope not at 18 months, but if I must work what can I do.

raizy

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 11:35 pm
I love newborns. I smile at them and I am always busy holding one of them or they are all around me bye the couch some playing on the floor some in the infant seat. but they are getting lots of love and attention.

but still some of my daycare kids love me better then there mothers. they come to me with a big smile etc. and why not . this morah has all the time in the world for them. their mothers do not. they work then they play catch up the rest of the day. so I try to hold them and play with them as much as posiable.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 7:25 am
raizy wrote:
I love newborns. I smile at them and I am always busy holding one of them or they are all around me bye the couch some playing on the floor some in the infant seat. but they are getting lots of love and attention.

but still some of my daycare kids love me better then there mothers. they come to me with a big smile etc. and why not . this morah has all the time in the world for them. their mothers do not. they work then they play catch up the rest of the day. so I try to hold them and play with them as much as posiable.

I doubt a baby prefers anyone else than his mother, even if he saw her 1 hour a day. That's the way, BH, nature works. Do the mothers know what you think? If I was one of them and learned it, I am sorry but I would think it's unhealthy and take away my baby.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 8:37 am
raizy wrote:

Raizy, I think you better get out a aheavy duty trash can lid to dodge the rotten tomatoes people are going to throw at you for this comment !! Shooting Arrow

mimivan

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 8:42 am
I'll add that I'm sure my metapelet has the same thoughts, and while I personally think that it is incorrect and agree with Ruchel that there is no one like Ima, I think b'h at least the metapelet loves my child! (preferable to the alternative!)

Marion

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 8:48 am
raizy wrote:

but still some of my daycare kids love me better then there mothers. they come to me with a big smile etc. and why not . this morah has all the time in the world for them. their mothers do not. they work then they play catch up the rest of the day.

Ya know, if I was one of your moms, I wouldn't be anymore. My son also greets his daycare staff with a big smile in the morning...but he comes crawling as fast as he can to his father or to me when we get there to pick him up. Also with a huge sloppy grin on his face. I'd be worried if he never smiled or showed he was happy at daycare, but I'd take him out and move him to somewhere else if I got the impression that the daycare provider thought she was better than me for my son.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 11:43 am
A daycare lady is there to feed and change the diapers, in the mind of a kid. She can also help him kill time while mom is away. But yeah... more loved than mom... it's the first time I hear something like that and it is really unhealthy to entertain such thoughts shock

raizy

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 1:20 am
sorry to offend someof you. but when u come from an abused home and the mothers is always on the phone. and doesnt have time to feed and nourish u. yes I am better then the mothers. the social worker working on her case thinks I am. and when the child cryes because they have to leave my house./

yes normal loving and caring mothers . children prefer them over the day care lady. but not if u come from an abused household. and unfourtunely I get quite a few of those.life is not perfect!!! I try harder with these kids because I know that it is all the love they will get in their life!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 2:20 am
I will definitely send Nati to Maon (daycare) at age two, maybe even for a couple days a week when he's one because I want him to at least understand Hebrew fluently by the time he enters Gan (nursery).

Also, depending on how things go, I may resume fertility treatments when he's a year old and it's not right to take him to the clinic with me. Right now DH works from home and if it continues, giving Nati peer interaction, rather than using the TV for a babysitter while I'm in Jerusalem and DH is working is WAY better.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics