Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Are day camps over stimulating?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 7:14 am
gold21 wrote:
Im not sure that you followed my thought process in my initial post. To clarify:

I asked, in what universe is is necessary to have overnights in a DAY CAMP at that age. For the time being, I choose to send to day camp, not overnight camp, and I wondered, out loud, why overnights are necessary in day camp- don't you agree that there should be a camp option for children who aren't ready for overnights? So this was not a post about overnight camp.

As to the second point, we run in different circles, and that is fine. That's what makes this world a big colorful place. I don't know anyone (no, literally, I actually don't know anyone at all) who sends to overnight camp at that age- the youngest that people send around here is coming out of 5th grade, but the majority won't consider sending until a year later, coming out of 6th grade. But as I said, differences are what makes the world go round. And I'm totally completely fine with what works for you, I hope you're understanding of what works for me. Tongue Out

you are right. I misread you. Forgive me.

To revise my original comment.

Camp itself is not necessary. Once the camp exists the only thing that is necessary is that kids are safe. Is there a camp out there that suggests that overnights are necessary to the daycamp experience? They are offered because the director thinks they enhance it.

and yes - we do run in circles. so please don't make broad sweeping statements that 8/9 year olds aren't ready for overnight camp, or overnights, just because its not 'done' where you live.

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
you are right. I misread you. Forgive me.

To revise my original comment.

Camp itself is not necessary. Once the camp exists the only thing that is necessary is that kids are safe. Is there a camp out there that suggests that overnights are necessary to the daycamp experience? They are offered because the director thinks they enhance it.

and yes - we do run in circles. so please don't make broad sweeping statements that 8/9 year olds aren't ready for overnight camp, or overnights, just because its not 'done' where you live.

Wait... As I predicted, this convo just keeps getting better....

So you're offended that I somehow insinuated, in your mind, that overnight camp isn't necessary....

But you have no problem stating that "camp itself is not necessary".

Also- where did I make the "broad sweeping statement" you speak of? I honestly find your comments about camp to be more broad and sweeping than anything I said.

OK... Don't mind me.. We're talking about camp, the best part of the year, what's there to argue about anyway?? Camp is awesome! Best part of the year Tongue Out #NoHomework!!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:24 am
I am THRILLED that I won't be working this summer. I'm not sending my 7yo and 4yo to day camp. I love spending time with them and being at home means we can choose activities based on whatever we're in the mood of. Arts and crafts or baking or new toys if we stay at home. Park, beach, ice cream store, pizza store, museum, library, indoor playgrounds if we want to go out. (If we would have a backyard, then there would be even more at home activities like sprinkler, pool, sandbox, gardening.)

They can socialize with the neighbors when they get home, or with other kids at the public places we go to. We can relax and do nothing or have a fun action packed day. I'm so looking forward to it. And everyone I talk to - literally everyone, I haven't found a single likeminded person - thinks this idea is like flying to the moon. They can't believe it's possible I would choose not to send my kids to camp.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:30 am
My theory is that you can't please everyone. Sure some will say camps are over stimulating. I have no doubt that if camps calmed things down some will say they really enjoyed all the life and spirit the way it was before and thete 5was no need to change things.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:32 am
gold21 wrote:
Wait... As I predicted, this convo just keeps getting better....

So you're offended that I somehow insinuated, in your mind, that overnight camp isn't necessary....

But you have no problem stating that "camp itself is not necessary".

Also- where did I make the "broad sweeping statement" you speak of? I honestly find your comments about camp to be more broad and sweeping than anything I said.

OK... Don't mind me.. We're talking about camp, the best part of the year, what's there to argue about anyway?? Camp is awesome! Best part of the year Tongue Out #NoHomework!!

in your words "Overnights for kids coming out of 4th grade? Really? In what universe is that necessary"

I'm not offended by that. Just wondering who is claiming that they are.

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
in your words "Overnights for kids coming out of 4th grade? Really? In what universe is that necessary"

I'm not offended by that. Just wondering who is claiming that they are.

Again, if the only day camp options available to your child offer overnights, and your child isn't ready for overnights but loves day camp generally, a parent may wonder "But why overnights? Why is this necessary?"

I'm sure you can understand what I meant. I didn't say anything controversial. It's really very straight up and straightforward.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 9:31 am
gold21 wrote:
Again, if the only day camp options available to your child offer overnights, and your child isn't ready for overnights but loves day camp generally, a parent may wonder "But why overnights? Why is this necessary?"

I'm sure you can understand what I meant. I didn't say anything controversial. It's really very straight up and straightforward.

I apologize again. I realized what you were saying was - "I want to send my kids to a camp where I know I'll get a happy kid when they come home... not stressed out over too many activities , or activities that push their limits... etc.. etc..... What happened to those camps!!"

I take things too literally.

I'm good friends with someone who runs a daycamp (that has overnights for older campers). Her goal is to provide children with a fun summer of 'old favorites' with opportunities to try new things, and have new experiences.

I hope you and your kids have a great summer Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
I am THRILLED that I won't be working this summer. I'm not sending my 7yo and 4yo to day camp. I love spending time with them and being at home means we can choose activities based on whatever we're in the mood of. Arts and crafts or baking or new toys if we stay at home. Park, beach, ice cream store, pizza store, museum, library, indoor playgrounds if we want to go out. (If we would have a backyard, then there would be even more at home activities like sprinkler, pool, sandbox, gardening.)

They can socialize with the neighbors when they get home, or with other kids at the public places we go to. We can relax and do nothing or have a fun action packed day. I'm so looking forward to it. And everyone I talk to - literally everyone, I haven't found a single likeminded person - thinks this idea is like flying to the moon. They can't believe it's possible I would choose not to send my kids to camp.

I used to do this. And everyone also thought I was crazy. I absolutely loved it!!!! We did amazing trips almost everyday and it was awesome!

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
I apologize again. I realized what you were saying was - "I want to send my kids to a camp where I know I'll get a happy kid when they come home... not stressed out over too many activities , or activities that push their limits... etc.. etc..... What happened to those camps!!"

I take things too literally.

I'm good friends with someone who runs a daycamp (that has overnights for older campers). Her goal is to provide children with a fun summer of 'old favorites' with opportunities to try new things, and have new experiences.

I hope you and your kids have a great summer Smile

You too!!! So glad the school year is almost out! B"H! Have a great summer Tongue Out

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
I agree, it's really crazy what's going on in the Lakewood camps. And everyone I know complains about it, and every year there are articles or letters to the editors about it and the camps claim that EVERYONE wants it. Just this week there was a letter to the editor in one of the publications, written by the head of a camp, I felt like I was reading something written by a twelve year old. It was all about how the kids want it, and they deserve it, because they work so hard all year. Really?!

I don't know about him, but my kids don't get whatever they want. And they don't deserve anything for going to school, definitely not a trip a week and overnights, and slush all day long from the camps' slush machine and whatever else is going on.

I don't know why you went anonymous for such an excellent post. I agree with you. I read that letter and was like, what? Was this written by a kid? It was really juvenile. I might give a kid of mine who likes stimulation the experience, but to say they deserve it is a big stretch.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children