Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to approach school about bullying?

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:32 am
There is a serious bullying problem in the elementary/middle school that I send my kids to (with no other options for me to send them to). One of my children has been suffering and I've been hearing horror stories from other parents of children who ended up irreparably damaged or were forced to move out of the school (to public school).

The administration seems oblivious to what really needs to be done. I've been in contact with them and they've done things like had a psychologist come in to speak with the children on a weekly basis, spoken to the kids one-on-one, and run a school wide campaign on respect and ahavas yisroel. L'maasah none of this has changed any of the bullying behavior. It's pretty obvious to me that a formal anti-bullying program needs to be put in place, with experts brought in from outside, but in all my discussion with the administration, I'm getting the sense that the school is not open to that. (Otherwise, why on earth would they not have done it years ago??)

How should I approach the school with this being the case that they seem to not be open to taking the necessary steps to solve this problem? I don't want to come across as threatening or stepping on anyone's toes, and I don't think that would accomplish anything anyways.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and have any advice for me on how to deal with this situation? Also any resources that I could suggest to the school for moving forward with such a program? Or model schools that you know of that have successfully implemented such a program?

Petra

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:52 am
Eliminate the concept of "not wanting to step on toes". Step on toes. Lots of toes. Nothing will get done if you are too polite about it.

There are plenty of schools who have "anti-bullying" policy. See if you can do some research about them and then go to the school and see what they have implemented, if anything.

Be a loud voice. Other parents may follow and help you out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children