Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Yummy Apple Crisp
Previous  1  2

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 4:35 pm
I was hoping rhubarb wasn't a REQUIRED taste LOL

freidasima

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 3:58 pm
Made it with peaches and substituted oil for the margarine, it did not go over well. It was leaky and greasy. Could be that it just doesn't work with oil...

sped

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 4:05 pm
It could be it was the peaches or too much oil. I just made it with oil and apples and pears and it came out fantastic. But I used less than 1/2 cup of oil. More like 1/3. The usual marg to oil ratio is 1 cup marg to 2/3 cup oil.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 9:04 pm
Thanks for posting this recipe, Yael. I've made it several times recently and it is always a hit. It is sooo good served warm with ice cream.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 5:08 am
Just made this and it was delicious! Used canola oil instead of marge. Thank you for posting!

lucky14

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:29 pm
Yael wrote:
I enjoyed this recipe so much I just had to share it. I reduced the sugar from the original recipe, and its still sweet!

7 apples sliced thin
1/4 cup (brown) sugar
2 Tb cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix together gently

Topping:
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup earth balance shortening or margarine (you can try oil and let me know how it is)
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

mix until crumbly

spread apples in a greased 9x 13 pan then crumble topping over it. Bake at 350F until bubbly and light golden. 45-50 minutes.

I know this is a super old post but I'm making apple crisp and need a recipe. Can anyone tell me - is this the version with the sugar reduced or did she (or you, Yael if you're reading this) put less sugar than posted here? I don't know how much the usual recipes call for.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:32 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I know this is a super old post but I'm making apple crisp and need a recipe. Can anyone tell me - is this the version with the sugar reduced or did she (or you, Yael if you're reading this) put less sugar than posted here? I don't know how much the usual recipes call for.

It sounds reduced to me.
When I make apple crisp, I use green apples and don't add anything to the apple layer, then make the crumble, it works very well

giselle

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:18 pm
I Use coconut oil instead of margarine. Also add fresh lemon and cinnamon to apple mixture, then another squeeze of lemon to the crumble (lemon makes everything taste better Smile )

lucky14

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:21 pm
Thanks for answering! I also wouldn't feel the need to add sugar to the apple mix but I'm making it for some people who may not be too happy with it THAT reduced Smile

As for the lemon, I don't have any, but next time I make it I'll get one. Thanks for the tip. I will add cinnamon.

giselle

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:26 pm
When I added just a bit of sugar to the apple mixture my son said it was way too sweet.. I think it would be overly sweet even for people with a sweet tooth.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:41 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Thanks for answering! I also wouldn't feel the need to add sugar to the apple mix but I'm making it for some people who may not be too happy with it THAT reduced Smile

As for the lemon, I don't have any, but next time I make it I'll get one. Thanks for the tip. I will add cinnamon.

It's still very sweet without sugar in the apple mixture
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics