Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Taking baby along on business trip?

DovDov

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 10:18 pm
I'm starting a new job in September. My son will be almost 10 months old and has never been away from me. I have to be in NY for three days of orientation, and I really hate the idea of leaving him for that time. Is it appropriate to bring him (and a caregiver, of course) along on the trip? Basically, they would stay in my hotel room (I would pay for the upgrade for more people, of course) and I would be able to nurse/see the baby at night -- it wouldn't affect anything else.

Here's why I'm hesitant: I'll also be five months pregnant, so I'm starting this job on the wrong foot. Really the wrong foot, because I was scheduled to start September of 2008, and do a clerkship first, but when I got pregnant I asked them if I could join the firm this year instead. They agreed, but I'm throwing off their scheduling somewhat. So I'm coming in a year earlier than they had planned to have me, in a relatively small practice group so it actually makes a difference, and I'll be going on maternity leave four months after joining the firm. So I'm a little afraid to make waves, especially about children -- I don't want them to get the impression that I'm going to shirk my responsibilities.

Advice?[/I]

Sunangel

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 10:23 pm
I hear your dilemma...I dont like to shake the waters at work when it comes to children or pregnancy either. However, three days away from a baby is alot. Lots of people bring family members on business trips and it should be understandable.
If it will not affect your work or the orientation, they shouldnt have a problem with it...do you need to inform them?
Good luck.

mommyX2

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 11:47 pm
can you stay at a friend or relative and rent a car to get to the orientations instead. then they don't need to know abt your baby coming along. they will just think you wanted to stay by your good friend or relative....

cdawnr

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 11:05 am
I think that your plan sounds perfectly reasonable (in that you would bring a caregiver and it would only be so that you could be with baby during your off time. You are willing to pay the extra expenses and you are not implying that it would conflict with the time you need to be working.

I think it shows that you are serious about your job and your family

DovDov

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 4:35 pm
Thank you for the replies!

1. I don't know if I have to inform them. They make the hotel arrangements, so if I wanted to upgrade to a room where two adults and a baby were allowed, I'd probably have to go through them.

2. Staying at a friend or relative is an option, I suppose, but considering the long hours they require would be very stressful. The hotel is right near the office, which is not near anyone I know. I'd really rather not do that.

Because they're scheduling tickets and hotel this week (they asked for definitive dates by August 1), I feel like I should figure out what I'm doing now so I can give them any information they need.

happymom

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 4:50 pm
I believe 10 months is too young to leave a baby. therefore, I think it would be best for you to bring your baby with. if you dont you will prob end up feeling extremely guilty and unhappy so.. if I were u id take the baby with no matter how hard.

Quote:
So I'm a little afraid to make waves, especially about children

im afraid theres not much u can do to prevent that, after all u do hav a child and will iyh have another one. our kdis sometimes do come first even though its hard with a job... if they have any understanding of what a mother does they will understand that u brought ure baby

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 6:49 pm
I think your thinking is correct and that you are doing the right thing.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 7:17 pm
if your baby isnt coming along with you to the orientations itself I dont see why its a problem.... so what if they know the baby came *along* with you on the trip; it's not going to affect your performance at the orientation itself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics