Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Q about hugs :(

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 5:25 pm
I just met a teacher of mine who is my mentor- haven't seen her in a while... We hugged, and now I'm overthinking everything.
She's a pretty short person- probably 5 feet tall. I'm short myself- 5"2. So when we hugged, it ended up being that I put my arms around her neck. I don't remember what she did... Is it weird that I hugged her like that?
I've always hated hugs, because for some reason, I wasn't born knowing how to hug people. I feel sooo awkward whenever I hug people cuz I feel like I'm for sure doing something wrong. So I really don't do it often.
Friends have complained about my hugs in the past. One said that I squeeze her too tight, another said I put my hands in the wrong spot, and yet another said that I'm skeletal, and she feels like she's hugging a skinny child and it feels gross.
Sad I feel so dumb posting this. This is something that I'm so insecure about. Cuz hugs are supposed to be effortless and natural. And I hate it that everyone but me manages them just fine.
Help.

sequoia

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 5:26 pm
Your friends are rude.

greenteaorange

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 7:05 pm
You said your insecure about this and I'm sorry you are that must be tough. I would try not to overthink it- most people that u do hug probably are not thinking about the way you hug and probably will not even remember your hug" technique". If you really feel embarrassed, I would suggest practicing with a close friend who is nice and understands your insecurities about it, perhaps she will help you gain confidence and get the motions right. I truly feel though you have nothing to worry about!!

imasinger

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 7:09 pm
I gave you an online hug.

I hope it feels just right.

I agree with Sequoia. It's rude to make comments like the ones you mentioned.

I'm sure your teacher appreciated your emotions. That's what matters most.

If you are insecure about it, maybe ask your DH for hugging lessons. Could be fun for both of you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette