Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Time-sensitive- how to keep soil moist over Shabbos

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 5:55 am
I planted a few kinds of seeds in containers on my balcony at the beginning of the week. The mint seems especially thirsty and I've been watering it at least once a day, many days twice. One of the other herbs already sprouted and I really want to keep it alive but I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

How do I make sure the soil will be moist enough over Shabbos but not drown the seeds and seedlings? The balcony gets about 5-6 hours sun, all in the afternoon. There isn't anywhere with morning sun I could move them to, though I could move them temporarily to somewhere with less sun altogether.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 6:30 am
Drip irrigation.
Maybe there's a way to do it with a plastic bottle. My thought is to fill a 1.5L bottle with water and make a hole at the bottom so that it drips throughout the day.
No idea if it would work.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 6:34 am
Iymnok wrote:
Drip irrigation.
Maybe there's a way to do it with a plastic bottle. My thought is to fill a 1.5L bottle with water and make a hole at the bottom so that it drips throughout the day.
No idea if it would work.

Great Israeli thinking- I'll try it Smile

Would still love to hear if moving plants to a (significantly) shadier spot for one day a week is likely to help or harm- all seed packets said full-to-partial sun.

JalapeƱo

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:36 am
Not sure about the already sprouted plants, but for those that have not shot up yet: they don't need any sun, just a warm(ish) place to sit and grow.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 8:55 am
Move to a shadier spot, and cover the pots with plastic wrap. That will seal the moisture in, and a day or two like that won't suffocate the sprouts. Poke a few holes in the wrap to let out evaporation.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 9:01 am
I planted a lot of veggies in plants on my porch. I eater them daily. I went away for 3 fill days this week and came back. Looked a bit wilted but with a good watering they are amazing! I would not worry about them over shabbos at all.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 10:03 am
Thank you, everyone who replied! I moved the unsprouted plants to a much shadier spot, and put a water bottle with a couple of pinholes in the sprouted one. Good to know they don't need sunlight until they've sprouted- which makes sense, of course- they need leaves to make chlorophyl. Should have remembered my high-school biology!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening