Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Plateau... ideas?

MomMe

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 4:55 pm
I've been working on changing my eating/lifestyle since December and I've lost 16 pounds, B"H. It's been very slow, but I feel good, and I feel like it will last. But for the past two months or so, I've been hovering at the same number. I had set a goal to lose 6 more pounds and would like to reach that goal.

I already exercise almost daily and am careful with my eating. What worked for you when you plateaued?

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 6:10 pm
According to The Don't go Hungry Diet, which is really a book about intuitive eating , says when you get to a plateau you should eat a bit MORE until your body gets used to the new weight. Accept the plateau for a few weeks / months and then you can start to lose again.

Also-.where did you get this 6 pound idea from.anyway? Maybe your body is just NOT meant to be 6 pounds lighter than it is now. Trying to lose those last 6 could end up making you way way heavier over all by seriously messing with your metabolism

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 10:45 pm
Are you drinking enough water?
You can try adding Apple Cider Vinegar to the water with a little stevia
If you like you can also add a little lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
This is suppose to stimulate your metabolism

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 10:54 pm
What type of exercise do you do, cardio or strength?

I've heard that only strength training really speeds up your metabolism. When you feel charlie horse, your body is working to repair small tears in muscles caused by the exercise. You can feel charlie horse for 3 days. The theory is that strength training therefore causes your metabolism to speed up for 3 days.

But I'm following for other ideas.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 11:27 pm
Water water water. Drink at least 8-10 cups of water. I have seen a major difference when I drank water and dieted.

987gold

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 11:53 pm
Switch up your eating menu.Switch up your exercise routine.
If you eat the same breakfast every morning, it's time you switch things up. That often helps.

Drink tons of water forsure.

MomMe

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 2:00 am
Thanks for the ideas. I do drink a lot of water already, but I'm going to try to pay better attention!

I can't stomach the cider vinegar, but I've done the lemon water in the past and should try to get back to that.

I walk and do pilates. I can't do anything too high intensity because of other health issues. But maybe I could do more pilates or add in some other kinds of toning. By strength training, you mean weights?

And about the "6 pounds idea," I'm just trying to get back to the weight I was for most of my adult life until my last birth (2 yrs ago!). And believe me, that was far from skinny, it was just comfortable.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 3:06 am
Maybe you need to cut something out of your menu like starch at dinner.

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 7:57 am
Check your BMI
If it's ok I would forgo the 6lbs
Concentrate on toning and building muscles.
Remember muscle weighs more than fat.
As far as water, 1/2 your weight in oz.
So, if you are 150lbs, you should drink 75 oz.k
Drs. Are now saying waist size is most important
Your waist should be 1/2 your height.
If you are 5'0= 60 inches your waist should be about 30"

MomMe

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 5:57 am
Tx for the advice. Got to get out the measuring tape... My BMI is in range, but by a hairs' breadth, which is why I was trying to get the weight a bit lower...

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 6:00 pm
Are you sure what you are saying about waist size is accurate? Because I am 15 lbs overweight according to my BMI, But I have a tiny waist.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
Are you drinking enough water?
You can try adding Apple Cider Vinegar to the water with a little stevia
If you like you can also add a little lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
This is suppose to stimulate your metabolism

Stevia is supposed to stimulate your metabolism?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 6:10 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Are you sure what you are saying about waist size is accurate? Because I am 15 lbs overweight according to my BMI, But I have a tiny waist.

I don't think so.
If my waist was half my height.. I would probably be overweight

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
Stevia is supposed to stimulate your metabolism?

No, the stevia makes the ACV and water taste better

Height to Waist Ratio
"Ideally, all should aim to keep their waist measurement less than half that of their height, found the scientists.
That means a 6ft (72 inch) tall man should aim to keep his waist less than 36 inches, while a 5ft 4in (64 inch) woman should keep hers under 32 inches."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new......html

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 12:34 pm
I’ve been doing really good for 4 months I’ve consistently been losing 7 -8 lbs a month
Which is a complete miracle and chesed from Hashem
I’ve lost 30lbs in 4 months
I am following a plan that seems to be working for me.

Now this month NOTHING
I can’t exercise hard only very little walking since I have a lot of mobility and joint issues
I’m also older post menapause which makes it harder
I need to lose at least another 20lbs so that it will be easier on my joints
I’m ok with taking it slowly to lose the last 20 lbs. Even 2 lbs a month as long as the scale moves down

All advise appreciated

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 1:32 am
MomMe wrote:
I've been working on changing my eating/lifestyle since December and I've lost 16 pounds, B"H. It's been very slow, but I feel good, and I feel like it will last. But for the past two months or so, I've been hovering at the same number. I had set a goal to lose 6 more pounds and would like to reach that goal.

I already exercise almost daily and am careful with my eating. What worked for you when you plateaued?

The average person follows a diet for six months ( if they are going to last that long and then starts to plateau and typically regain.

It doesn’t matter which way you eat, because ultimately obesity ( doesn’t sound like you’re very obese if 22 pounds is your goal) induces adaptations in our bodies as does low calorie weightloss.

It’s very important to remember that it’s not all about the number on the scale. Especially when you are looking for long term sustainability. You didn’t really describe what you’re doing but trust me when I say that it’s not truly a plateau if you aren’t regaining weight.

Continue to do what’s working for you. By that, I mean, do what makes you feel good and healthy. Eat enough so you are not hungry all the time. Eat high quality food. If you make a mistake, learn from it.

It’s really true that our bodies on low calorie diets start to panic and think we are starving. Keeping the caloric deficit mild and also eating in a way that lowers your insulin production can also help.

I recently wrote an op ed about this. I have to finish the references. Maybe I’ll try to do that tomorrow and eventually post it.

Don’t give up. And maybe don’t worry too much about the numbers either.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 1:34 am
https://youtu.be/nkxHmrKwcwQ

Dr. Jeffrey Gerber “when weightloss stalls.”

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 8:47 am
Hatzlacha. I hit a plateau and am stuck here. I don't want to change too much because the changes I made are sustainable and more changes might not be. The good news I've kept 20 lbs off for a few years bH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise