Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Airline meals
Previous  1  2

shoy18

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:

for example, fleishigs are generally "glatt kosher"
so milchigs should likewise be cholov yisroel

this is not so at all, almost all orthodox people eat glatt, not everyone eats milchig

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 6:03 pm
shoy18 wrote:
amother wrote:

for example, fleishigs are generally "glatt kosher"
so milchigs should likewise be cholov yisroel

this is not so at all, almost all orthodox people eat glatt, not everyone eats milchig

even if you don't count the Mo, definitely not all mainstream Orthodox eat glatt... most of the ultra Orthodox do though. I would say it's the same for cy.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 7:24 pm
did I say "all" do?

no I said a lot do.
this isn't debating about whether cholov yisroel is for everyone or not this is about making the meals edible for all frummer yidden.
its impossible to please everyone where hechsherim is concerned, but at least, the milchig meals should be edible for all frum yidden to the best they can do with whatever hechsher they are using.

just to point out, we will sometimes be lenient, on the hechsher used for meat (depending of course which one) but we will never be lenient on cholov akum.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:
did I say "all" do?

no I said a lot do.
this isn't debating about whether cholov yisroel is for everyone or not this is about making the meals edible for all frummer yidden.
its impossible to please everyone where hechsherim is concerned, but at least, the milchig meals should be edible for all frum yidden to the best they can do with whatever hechsher they are using.

just to point out, we will sometimes be lenient, on the hechsher used for meat (depending of course which one) but we will never be lenient on cholov akum.

I agree it should accomodate as many people as possible. Maybe most of the users do not ask for it, or it is a problem of price? Or they have difficulties finding stricter hechsherim? I dunno

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 7:34 pm
Quote:
Maybe most of the users do not ask for it,

I emailed my agent, (a jew) the next time I was getting ready to travel and asked him if he could request that the kosher meals be cholov yisroel
he said I can't ask for a particular type of kosher meal. What

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 7:38 pm
my mom says, we don't mind eating glatt, but the glatt eaters really HATE being served non glatt, so it should be glatt Wink

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
Maybe most of the users do not ask for it,

I emailed my agent, (a jew) the next time I was getting ready to travel and asked him if he could request that the kosher meals be cholov yisroel
he said I can't ask for a particular type of kosher meal. What

I am not surprised, but I don't know why it's like that. Maybe really a problem of practicality (too many styles of kosher, not worth it to have a few of each?)

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 7:45 pm
well, just like glatt kosher meat is more expensive then regular meat but they still do it to accomadate all frum people, even though many jews won't care about a lesser hechsher,
so to they should accomodate the vast amount of cholov yisroel keeping yidden and serve cholov yisroel.
Its not necessary to have a few different types of kosher, I don't know any person who eats cholov akum that would refuse to eat cholov yisroel

also to point out this is a relatively new thing that they serve cholov akum.
If my memory serves me right, they always used to have cholov yisroel.
I don't know exactly when the change came about but it was changed.

bashinda

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 8:40 pm
Marion wrote:
greenfire wrote:
I didn't know they still gave out meals ... interesting ...

They only give out meals on "non-domestic" flights over 5 hours. BEWARE: somehow "domestic" in the U.S. now includes Canada as well...which means there are no meals on flights from Toronto (or NY) to LA or Vancouver, even though they are over 5 hours!

shock shock shock

no meals from NY -> California??? I'm glad you posted this!!!

edit: and no yogurt allowed??? shock (Can you tell I haven't been on a plane in over 3 years LOL )

imaamy

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 9:21 pm
My son and his friends flew to camp and I ordered Kosher for all of them. It was a breakfast and the muffin wasn't kosher, so they didn't eat it. He had only cheerios and raisins. My son was starving when he got there. I told my husband, who drove him to the airport, to send snacks, but of course they said, "he'll get food on the plane." I felt so bad he was hungry all day!

Marion

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 4:07 am
Remember...the AIRLINES don't know the difference! They provide these meals as a service (at a financial loss), but the responsibility for the kashrut of the meals rests with the supervising body/va'ad. If you want to see a change made, speak with your local (or national) va'ad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics