Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Ceiling Fan?

myname1

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 5:28 am
My kids' room for some reason gets very little airflow. It has 2 windows but gets virtually no breeze, even at night when the rest of the house is very cool and breezy. They're both toddlers, so keeping them comfortable and knowing that they're comfortable has been a challenge. (They don't necessarily know to take on/off a cover, nor can they always verbalize why they are having trouble sleeping.) We have AC in there, but prefer not to use it because of the expense and the difficulty to keep it from getting too hot/cold. So we right now have a fan directly on each of them and try to feel if they're too hot/cold during the night or if they wake up.

I'm thinking a ceiling fan would make life much easier. It will obviously create more floor space, which is nice, but I think it would also cool the room more efficiently and evenly- is this true for a room with little outside breeze? It would be wonderful to walk into the room and not worry that what they feel is much hotter/colder than what I feel. And I think it would be more mild- making the room comfortable without the on/off extremes of the AC. Is this true? I've never actually had a ceiling fan...

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 5:42 am
We have a ceiling fan in each bedroom. Best thing ever!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 6:04 am
We have ceiling fans in the bedrooms and dining room. We use them with the A/C. This gives us airflow and allows us to put the a/c I'm a lower setting.

Brownies

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 6:08 am
Yes, I would definitely recommend it. I regret not getting it for one of my kids' bedrooms when we redid it a couple of years ago and now may consider a wall-mounted fan for them because I find that people tend to trip over floor fans! My husband and I, and my other children, sleep with the ceiling fan on all night - it keeps the room comfortable and I don't wake up with the horrible dry scratchy feeling in my throat which I get when I've slept with air conditioning.

myname1

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:06 am
Thank you all! Very helpful!

tf

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:07 am
Yes, I have a ceiling fan in my own room and in children's room. I don't like to sleep in a room with ac for various reasons. The ceiling fan sucks in the breeze from the open windows or from the ac working in the dining room. I love it and regret I didn't have it installed in all side rooms.

myname1

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:20 am
Wow, sounds amazing! People who say you regret not getting it in another room, why not get it now? Is it because there's no electricity for the ceiling? Or is there some other reason I'm missing (other than just not having the money at the moment)? I'm in Israel where we have a big old light bulb in the middle of the ceilng, so it seems like replacing that with a fan/light combo would be a pretty convenient solution, no?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:23 am
You could just replace it like any light fixture. It's helpful if you see three wires there, two live and one ground. Then you can control the fan and light separately. Otherwise, you just have to pull the chain to turn on/off one or the other since the wall switch will control both.
Though an experienced electrician can add a wire.

Brownies

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:31 am
myname1 wrote:
Wow, sounds amazing! People who say you regret not getting it in another room, why not get it now? Is it because there's no electricity for the ceiling? Or is there some other reason I'm missing (other than just not having the money at the moment)? I'm in Israel where we have a big old light bulb in the middle of the ceilng, so it seems like replacing that with a fan/light combo would be a pretty convenient solution, no?

For me it's because we bought a very nice new light fixture, which wasn't cheap, for that bedroom when we redid it so I don't really want to replace it - but, same as for your kids, the airflow in their room isn't great hence why I'm considering a wall-mounted fan. Practically speaking it's not a big deal to replace a light fixture with a fan/light combo, as you said.

When you go to buy it, investigate and make sure you get one that isn't noisy!

sneakermom

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 8:52 am
The house we moved into has ceiling fans in all bedrooms as well as the kitchen. I was told by a designer that they are no longer in fashion. But they are so practical and I love air flow, that I kept them in and I don't regret it.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 5:33 pm
We have a ceilin gfan in our room, we love it. But when it's really hot we use AC+ceiling fan together. The ceiling fan doens't acutally cool the room, but it makes you feel cooler. So it works well up to a certain temperature.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 5:35 pm
We had a ceiling fan in a bedroom in our previous apartment. There was no option for a/c in that room. We kept the a/c on in the room adjacent to it, kept the doors open, and the room kept cool all night.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 6:38 pm
I built a house and put a ceiling fan in each bedroom and the kitchen. Best thing ever!! And I have really cute ones that match my kids bedrooms!

lucky14

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 10:25 pm
I agree with what some others are saying to keep the A/C on just not on a really low temp and to use that with the ceiling fan. My childhood bedroom was one of the warmest rooms in the house and I was very grateful for my ceiling fan! I miss having one (we're in an apartment, but when we have a house we'll for sure put one in our bedroom!).

eschaya

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 10:42 pm
Another fan of the ceiling fans! We are moving to a new home this month, and we are installing ceiling fan+lights in all the upstairs bedrooms (this is a considerable expense because the rooms don't having electrical wiring to the ceiling - it's an old house). I find that it reduces our AC needs and overall makes the room feel more fresh.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 10:52 pm
We have ceiling fans in the bedrooms but still need the AC. I actually just bought an ac today bc we are having guests for shabbos and I feel bad to make them sleep in a room without ac.

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:19 pm
I just want to add that if you are purchasing the units, you should only get energy star ceiling fans. This is a government designation and not a particular brand.

My fans cool down the house and result in cost savings by allowing us to run the a.c. less and using less electric themselves. The better ceiling fans initially cost more, but they more than pay for themselves quickly.

I don't like the look of ceiling fans, but I like the confort of them.

Make sure you get a light in front of the blades rather than behind, so you don't have that annoying unstable light source.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics