Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Tell Me About the Instant Pot
Previous  1  2  3

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:10 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Are there any special instructions for adjusting a recipe to the instant pot? More or less or more water, etc?

Youngishbear, it depends on the cooking method. If you're adjusting a stove top simmering/braising recipe to a pressure-cooking recipe, you will likely need much less liquid (because very little steam escapes during pressure cooking). You will also need to cook things for much shorter when you pressure cook. If you're using the Instant Pot for slow cooking, though, it's similar to any Crock Pot.

ETA: an example is cooking rice. When you steam rice on the stove top, it's usually a 1:1.5 rice:water ratio, and depending on the amount you cook, takes 15 or 20 minutes of steaming. When you cook in the instant pot, it's a 1:1 ratio and takes about 10 minutes start to finish.

If you make vegetable soup, you can pressure cook all the root vegetables in about 20 minutes total, instead of 30-45 minutes simmering on the stovetop.

Last edited by sweetpotato on Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:10 pm
lovingmother wrote:
I don't know, I bought one b/c I read rave reviews about it, and so far not finding it life changing. One big turn on for me was the saute feature, I thought that I could put onions in and they would saute on their own. It's not true, I have to stand there and stir, just like a pan. Meats didn't really come out tasting better. I want to try the bean feature.
Sweet potato, would you mind posting any of your recipes/methods that you just mentioned?
Anyone want to post their gefilte fish method?
I just feel like it was a waste of money, If I could use it consistently for one or two things I would feel better

I doubt any appliance would be life-changing for me, unless and until Rosie the Robot comes on the market.

One of the main advantages of the Instant Pot is time. I can make split pea soup on the range, which takes well over an hour ... or in the Instant Pot, in 15 minutes. Mushroom barley soup, same. Chicken drumsticks, 50 minutes in the oven, 15 or so in the instant pot. Matzo balls .... some people cook them for 15 minutes in the Instant Pot, but I do 30; then again, I do well over an hour on the range.

ETA -- its also much more forgiving of frozen meat.

rolls rose

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:15 pm
I have a small family and I don't need to use only about 5 quarts of the pot. Will the food come out good enough? I'm talking about the 8 quart pot.

Last edited by rolls rose on Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:18 pm
Thanks for explaining!

My main reason for buying it is also to save time. Soup, specifically, and one pot dinners.

Where can I find recipes besides facebook?

I'm not on there. Can I see recipes without joining?

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:35 pm
lovingmother wrote:
I don't know, I bought one b/c I read rave reviews about it, and so far not finding it life changing. One big turn on for me was the saute feature, I thought that I could put onions in and they would saute on their own. It's not true, I have to stand there and stir, just like a pan. Meats didn't really come out tasting better. I want to try the bean feature.
Sweet potato, would you mind posting any of your recipes/methods that you just mentioned?
Anyone want to post their gefilte fish method?
I just feel like it was a waste of money, If I could use it consistently for one or two things I would feel better

That's true, you do still need to babysit it when you are sauteeing onions, etc., but that's usually the only labor-intensive part. We get a lot of use out of it because we eat legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas), rice and soup a lot.

I'm happy to share recipes, but they aren't proper recipes, just my own preparations (so I don't really have measurements).

For chicken soup, for example, I put in some large pieces of celery, carrot, a half onion, bay leaf, and 3-4 lbs of chicken on the bone (frozen works fine; I usually use legs/thights). I pressure cook it for 70 minutes and then remove everything from the broth. The broth comes out very rich because the pressure cooking renders a lot of the fat and gelatin into the broth. You can then make the soup however you like (adding back in the diced chicken, fresh vegetables, dill, etc.) It tastes better than chicken soup I simmer on the stove for 2.5 hours.

For tomato soup or tomato sauce, I sautee onion and garlic in olive oil, then add 1 or 2 cans of whole tomatoes in liquid and some dried herbs. I pressure cook it for 10 minutes. If I'm making tomato soup, I then blend with an immersion blender and serve. If making tomato sauce, I blend roughly or mash with a potato masher, then slow cook on high for another 30 minutes until thickened.

For red lentils, I sautee diced onion (and often carrot) in olive oil and then add curry spices (turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, for example). Then add however many cups of lentils I want to cook and cover with water, pressure cook for 1 minute. Natural pressure release.

Rice is pretty easy: 1:1 ratio of rice to water, and 7 minutes pressure cooking for white rice, 15 minutes for brown rice. (One complaint is that because the Instant Pot insert isn't nonstick, like a rice maker pot, a thin layer of rice sometimes gets stuck to the pot).

The Instant Pot can also be useful to quickly prep other things, like quick pressure cooking chickpeas or beans to add to a stew or soup that you simmer for longer.

I make vegetable soup by roughly chopping whatever soup vegetables I have (carrot, potato, celery, turnip, zucchini, etc.), sauteeing onion for a few minutes, adding enough water to mostly cover the vegetables along with some dried herbs, pressure cooking for 20 minutes, and then blending with the immersion blender. It will usually come out thick this way, so I add more water to thin before serving.

And hard boiled eggs are incredible: you pressure cook them for 8 minutes on low pressure, and the shells are always really easy to remove afterward. I usually cook a dozen for Shabbat each week this way.

I really appreciate not having to use my stove top for long periods of time, especially in the summer. If I make chicken soup, beans and rice in a single day, that might be 3-4 hours of having a flame on, vs. 2 hours total with the Instant Pot.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:37 pm
rolls rose wrote:
I have a small family and I don't need to use only about 5 quarts of the pot. Will the food come out good enough? I'm talking about the 8 quart pot.

As long as you adjust your recipes, you can cook smaller batches in it just fine.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 9:05 pm
A split pea soup recipe, anyone?

How will I know how long to set specific foods on?

lovingmother

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 10:47 pm
Thank you sweet potato!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 11:11 pm
youngishbear wrote:
A split pea soup recipe, anyone?

How will I know how long to set specific foods on?

Easy Split Pea Soup

16 oz. green split peas
3-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced or diced
3-4 carrots, diced
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 cups water

Combine all ingredients in a 4 quart pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer on low flame for 1 1/2 hours.
Thin soup with extra water if reheating.

Ask the insta experts for instant pot instructions. I've done it in the crockpot with less water.

mha3484

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 3:18 pm
I bought the instant pot and decided I will make it meat so I can upgrade my lately shvach shabbos meals and make the upcoming yomtovim a little easier. Where do you all look for recipes?

L K

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:01 am
It's now $81.99 for 8-qt 7-in-1
In amazon

rgr

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:11 am
L K wrote:
It's now $81.99 for 8-qt 7-in-1
In amazon

I always wonder if these sales are worth anything. I just see up-thread that I posted it was $90 earlier in the year so I guess it goes down by few dollars

shyshira

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:18 am
rgr wrote:
I always wonder if these sales are worth anything. I just see up-thread that I posted it was $90 earlier in the year so I guess it goes down by few dollars

when it was $90 it was on sale as well. If you were to have purchased it 2 days ago it would have been, as I recall 129.99.

rgr

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:06 pm
shyshira wrote:
when it was $90 it was on sale as well. If you were to have purchased it 2 days ago it would have been, as I recall 129.99.

I understand that, but I was referring to people who say the sales during black Friday are better than other sales during the year.

L K

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 1:55 pm
For those that are still looking, kohls has 3- and 6-qt on sale now, with around $25 in coupons.

Need advice:
1. 6 or 8 quarts for milchigs?

I can't finally decide if 8 is too big, or 6 will be too small in the long run.
I got one on sale and can make it milchig, or alternatively save for pesach and get a cheaper 6-qt.

2. Is 6-qt a worthwhile buy for parve, or milchigs?

Grateful2bhere

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 11:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
... I even do my matzo balls in there...
...amazing.

Hi, I realize this thread Is a bit old, but could you possibly explain how you make matzah balls in an instant pot?
Do these appliances have a large margin of error? When I've made matzah balls for instance on the stove, one can keep an eye on and not over crowd.
Do things consistently come out pretty well in an instant pot/electric Pressure cooker?

I'm thinking of buying an electric Pressure cooker (possibly a Farberware one in case anyone has any comments on why one might rather get a more expensive instant pot brand?) I'm just trying to get a better feel for what it can do before investing, not just financially, but in just owning another appliance to store. Thanks!

Shoshie

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:28 am
Anyone successfully used an instant pot from the U.S. in Israel by using a voltage transformer? If so, which brand worked?

The cheapest instant pot my friend can find in Israel is more than $200 USD. Have you found a decent one at a better price?

ila

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:30 am
Regular pressure cooker or instant pot... have gas from the range for free in my building... did your electric bill went up a lot from the instant pot?

tryinghard

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:40 am
When I make split pea soup in my Instant Pot, I actually don’t burn it or have anything stuck to the bottom!
I love making applesauce. Comes out super creamy.

How do you make gefilte fish in the IP?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:06 pm
I used this for gefilte fish https://marilyndishes.com/2017.....-pot/
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars