Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
How many times did you read/see Harry Potter?
1  2  3  Next

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:36 am
I often see references to Harry Potter on imamother. The thread that prompted me to post this was Marina's thread about the disappearing double lives thread.
People quote whole passages, and know all the yichus, and all the magic words...
I read all the books (some of them multiple times, perhaps 3 or 4) years ago, and I watched some of the movies (most were too scary for me to dare to watch! I get frightened rather easily)

But I barely remember the intricate details! I remember most of the characters' names, I remember one or two curses, but that's is. How do you all remember everything??? Did you read/watch very recently?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:38 am
Ha. My girls are obsessed! They and their friends make each other Harry Potter tests, with obscure references to comments and people from the books, etc...makes my murderous 12th grade teacher's famous 3 way matching seem like child's play.

Now the question I would ask is, how many times have you read the Lord of the Ring series? (I'm a fan, and my kids make fun of me for it.) I'm on my umpteenth round...like every other summer or so, I decide to read again....

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:40 am
I never read lord of the ring.
I am actually in search of some good, clean books to read. Can you tell me more about it? Maybe I'll try it.

treestump

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:41 am
At least 20 times, I'd say.

I go through a delightful Harry Potter cycle about 3 times a year, where I read every book and watch every movie again.

I still notice new things each time.

I know this sounds completely crazy, but this is Harry Potter we're talking about so I feel no shame. Smile

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:41 am
I read them quite a few times and I have a number of favorite passages/scenes/lines.

Marina's lamentation reminded me of the scene where Hagrid cries over Aragog and Slughorn gives a moving eulogy. I remembered it was funny but I didn't know the exact words.

Accio google!

And if you don't remember that spell, you don't get to call yourself a Potterhead.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:43 am
Not even once

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:44 am
Clearly I'm not a potterhead.
I remember Hagrid but vaguely remember aragog (was he a gigantic spider?) and I don't remember slughorn.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:44 am
I have only watched the first, fourth and fifth movies. One time each. I have read each of the books numerous times. I have no idea how many times. Most of them I haven't read in years though. The seventh I just read this year. But I still remember everything. Including small details. In my family we can discuss Harry Potter like a piece of Gemara. We really go in depth .

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:47 am
allthingsblue wrote:
I never read lord of the ring.
I am actually in search of some good, clean books to read. Can you tell me more about it? Maybe I'll try it.

more of a classic type of read - but once you get used to it, it's delightful. Start with The Hobbit, and then go on to the series - The Fellowship of the Ring, the Two Towers, and The Return of the King. By J.R. Tolkien.

Many, many Harry Potter magical creatures and ideas are definitely drawn from LOR.

It's like the real thing, according to fans anyway.

Google it, and enjoy!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:55 am
I've read the books probably 30 times by now. I re-read the series a few times a year and it never gets old! And there's so much to enjoy even as an adult (plus noticing things that went over my head as a kid). I've only watched each movie once or twice. They're good, but not like the books and some of them made really annoying changes. I have watched Fantastic Beasts like 15 times by now. I can't wait for the 2nd one. Admittedly, I have a bit of a crush on Newt embarrassed

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:58 am
I love HP but don't get the whole obsession.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:01 am
Read the books once each.

I was seriously shipping Snape/Hermione and when instead Snape died and Hermione married a moron, I was so disgusted I never re-read them.

treestump

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:10 am
sequoia wrote:
Read the books once each.

I was seriously shipping Snape/Hermione and when instead Snape died and Hermione married a moron, I was so disgusted I never re-read them.

I find that a bit creepy - Snape is old enough to be her father - but personality wise and intelligence wise, it would be a great pair once they stopped biting each other's head off.

But yeah, the Ron-Hermione thing never made sense to me.

I still want an entire series dealing with the PTSD and grief they all faced after the war. How the entire society changed and how there was an entire generation who had watched their friends die, was disgusted with the Ministry and its corruption, who had fought with elves and goblins and now fought for equality. How many jobs weren't relevant anymore. How people were messed up. How Hogwarts fell apart or totally reformed.

Not Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny just stepping seamlessly into their parents places in the same sort of society, with the same sort of roles, years later.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:11 am
Hated the movies. LOVE the books, I dont even know how many times I read them. I obviously have less time now than when I was a teen, but still every couple of years I reread the whole series, purposely going as slowly as I can.
Yes, I can quote lines and passages. Of course! Lol.
I think the reason so many people can delve into discussions and quote lines verbatim is because...harry potter is not just a book and its not just a series. To many people, its very very real, and the depth in which its read is way deeper than a typical novel.
The characters are my friends, and my ememies. Their struggles are mine. When I read it, I am there.
And anyone who makes fun of me gets the jelly legs curse.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:12 am
a few times, haven't counted. Read most of them as soon as they came out.

Watched the movies once each.

They were all published after I was an adult btw.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:13 am
little neshamala wrote:
Hated the movies. LOVE the books, I dont even know how many times I read them. I obviously have less time now than when I was a teen, but still every couple of years I reread the whole series, purposely going as slowly as I can.
Yes, I can quote lines and passages. Of course! Lol.
I think the reason so many people can delve into discussions and quote lines verbatim is because...harry potter is not just a book and its not just a series. To many people, its very very real, and the depth in which its read is way deeper than a typical novel.
The characters are my friends, and my ememies. Their struggles are mine. When I read it, I am there.
And anyone who makes fun of me gets the jelly legs curse.

Harry potter was a major part of my life. I started at age 12 and finished at age 21. I read through the night while nursing my baby.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:15 am
I never read any of the books and saw maybe one movie.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:17 am
Read the books many times. Watched the movies once each, to be yotzei. Hate them. Made me wonder if the people involved in the making of the movies even read the books, because they seemed to completely miss the point half the time for me.

I can still quote passages and remember details, even though I haven't read them in a while. Which maybe means it's time to start up again..

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:18 am
Chayalle wrote:
more of a classic type of read - but once you get used to it, it's delightful. Start with The Hobbit, and then go on to the series - The Fellowship of the Ring, the Two Towers, and The Return of the King. By J.R. Tolkien.

Many, many Harry Potter magical creatures and ideas are definitely drawn from LOR.

It's like the real thing, according to fans anyway.

Google it, and enjoy!

I read The Hobbit and am not tempted to continue.

It had very little humor and I did not relate to the characters or their adventures.

HP is so much more realistic. (I am not a fantasy nerd at heart. Just a nerd.)

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:18 am
I have all 7 books on tape and listen to them again and again.
Hated the movies. The whole beauty of the books is the day to day life which is too long for a movie...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics