Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
He'll be going to the chuppah in diapers...

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 8:31 am
I know everyone says this when something is slow going, but I'm at my wits end and starting to wonder if maybe he will be going to the chuppah in diapers. My son is going to be 4 at the end of the summer. He CAN pee in the potty and usually does so, but still has accidents both at home and at school. He has yet to poop in the potty. I've tried everything. Taking him to the bathroom at frequent intervals, ignoring it, letting him sit in wet/soiled situation until he's uncomfortable. I offer him small prizes at regular intervals and have promised him something big that he's been asking for when he ditches the diapers entirely/few to no accidents during the day at all. Still a no go. He's not my first and while I've never had an easy time with potty training, this is the most severe case yet! Even my son with autism trained more easily and younger than this. I don't know what else to do. This child is typically developing and very bright and is in general crazy stubborn.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 8:33 am
Let him be. Try again in 6 months.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:00 am
OP, if your son was 14 then maybe your title would be slightly appropriate, but at age 3, turning 4? Come on.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:05 am
Leave it. It could be he has fear of the toilet.

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:45 am
Can I recommend a product called Constipation Ease--saved my life while toilet training. Its all natural and homeopathic with herbs that promote regularity and soft stools, but doensn't cause cramping. Within a week of using it my kids were doing #2 in the toilet regularly. Now my kids are 5-6.5 and I haven't used any since b4 pesach--they had been on it regularly for a few months when I first started, but then I gave it to them as "maintenance" once in a while if they seemed resistant, but now they go with minimal prompting or on their own.

Could be that there's a fear of "falling in" make sure that the potty seat you are using is firmly situated on the toilet and provide a step stool for easy access. That said boys tend to train closer to 4-4.5 and earlier than that he may not have the bowel control necessary for toilet training. With my son with special needs it took us over a year and a half from start of toilet training (we started at 2.5) and he wasn't fully-fully trained until well past 4.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:54 am
I know what it feels like. I had a similar situation and kept saying the same thing. My advice? Don't push it. Try again in a few weeks or just wait till peer pressure kicks in. It will happen. Know you're not alone. Hatzlacha.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:04 am
I' m having the same thing with DD and she is also almost 4. Simply refuses to go. I'm doing Camp Mommy over the summer and am trying to keep her home as much as possible (yes we are going stir crazy, and the kids are watching WAY too many movies), because at home I can keep her without anything on her rush and she learns to go like that.

It is frustrating, especially since I cannot send her to school without being trained. Jellybeans immediately after going help, but only so much.

Grrr! You aren't alone.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:26 am
Both my kids refused to poop in potty and would hold it in for days on end. We tried reward charts, encougement, treats, everything the experts suggest.

Nothing worked.

My dr said to not let them go more than 3 days without a bowel movement. He told me after that to insert a children's suppository.

I told the kids beforehand that if they didn't poop in the potty, the dr said I would have to put a pill up their bum to help them get the poop out.

With both kids I only had to give them a suppository one time . It was NOT EASY, but Baruch Hashem! It worked!!!

Big hugs for you. Hatzlaha rabbah.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:52 am
There is light at the end of the tunnel. My son was trained a few months before he was three and is now 4.5 He just started making dirty in the toliet a few weeks ago. and the best is that it kinda just happened by itself. He was in the bath and said "oh no I need a diaper" There was no way I was putting a diaper on my already naked son when the toliet was right next to us. It took about ten minutes of negotiating and some bribing but he was ready and he went on the toliet without kicking and screaming and hasnt asked for a diaper since. Hang on ladies - the time will come!

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:16 am
bribes bribes bribes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training