Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
10 years old and still wears diapers at night

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:00 am
my ten year old still wears diapers at night time how can I night toilet train him
help!

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:07 am
Have you discussed this with he pediatrician?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:17 am
I have a 10 and a 9 yr old in diapers at night. My other kids had no problems but these two are not even close. They wake up with their pull-ups soaked. I took them to the doctor, got everything checked out. Tried the alarm thing. Come to find out it's a familial thing; my MIL suddenly decided to share that 3 of hers, including DH, wore diapers until somewhere in the 8-12 yr old range. Bottom line, there are a significant number of kids who for whatever reason just take a lot, lot longer to have the awareness to toilet themselves at night. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

crust

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:24 am
Big percentage of children outgrow it, around the age of puberty.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:59 am
The brain and kidneys need to go into sleep mode. Extended bedwetting is normal in my family. I felt very validated when my second cousin said they have it in her family too.
For many kids medication helps. I have two who have been on it for just over two months. For one it really helps (dd7), 1/2 dose. For one it helps a few times a week if the directions are followed to a T, full dose, (no food or drink 2 hrs b4 bed, try to make every half hour in the evening, take the pill 1/2 - 1hr before falling asleep)
This is desmopressin, DDAVP. It is available in many different forms, my kids have Minarin Melt. It melts under the tongue. The goal of it is to give the kidneys a jump start in going into night mode.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:52 pm
I had a family member who had this issue till around 12. Eventually he outgrew it, all on his own.
Alarms and medications didn't work for him.
Don't stress about it, it will happen when the time is right.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 2:14 pm
There was just a thread about a 15 year old who is still in diapers overnight, so if I were you I wouldn't just ignore it and seek out help from professionals now.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 11:35 am
I tried chiropractic manipulation for a few months for a 7 year old wetting during the day and found a positive change BH. May be worth a try.

Queen6

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 7:39 pm
DR. SAGIE

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 8:34 pm
my 11 yr old wet his bed last night. He does it only every 2-3 months. I do not tell him to put on a pull up ...even though he will wet his bed every so often. I think he will not even try if he knows he doesn't have to with a pull up on. I do wonder how I can send him to sleep away camp? The day camp he is going to has a 3 day overnight. He would be humiliated if he wet his bed with friends. One thing I have noticed is that if he drinks a lot after 5pm he will wet his bed. I am not sure how to tell him not to drink when it is close to 100 degrees here. Will follow this thread. btw - my younger kids (9 and 7) never, ever wet their beds!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training