Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Cooper Union

amother

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:30 pm
Has anyone gone there or knows someone who did?

I was wondering about the atmosphere and how it is regarding frum stuff interfering with coursework and the general atmosphere.

If anyone is an architect - where did you get your degree and were you happy with it?

Thank you!

STovah

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:49 pm
If you can get in there, I would go without thinking twice.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:43 am
bump
My dd is considering this. Any info on architecture degrees would be appreciated. I am assuming Touro doesn't have an architecture degree Smile

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 5:31 pm
It is a superb school. If she can get in, go. No questions asked.

There are usually a handful of frum engineering students each year. I don't know anything about the architecture program. There is a Hillel, and she can probably teach out to them for more information. NYU's Hillel and Chabad may also have contacts, the campuses are pretty close.

Anonymous because there aren't that many frum Jews with shaychus to Cooper Union. Very Happy

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 5:53 pm
I know someone who went. I believe he used a lot of the resources from NYU for frum students.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 6:23 pm
First get in, and Then do research. It is a very difficult admission process. I went to NYIT. I'd suggest you also research Pratt.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:13 pm
Thanks for all the replies! Cooper Union does seem intense at 5 years of schooling, wondering what other options there are for architecture. Someone mentioned Pratt and NYIT, does anyone have info on those?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:44 pm
Columbia has a good program also.

miami85

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:59 pm
A friend of mine was there about 10 years ago, she's a chemical engineer now.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! Cooper Union does seem intense at 5 years of schooling, wondering what other options there are for architecture. Someone mentioned Pratt and NYIT, does anyone have info on those?

These are the programs I know of in NYC:
City college - public = cheapest, but in Harlem.
Parsons - great reputation, an art school. Very expensive.
Pratt - in Williamsburg / Bedford Stuyvesant also an art school, also expensive, scholarships might be more easily available compared to parsons. Good reputation.
Columbia - excellent reputation, very expensive, very competitive atmosphere, very competitive admissions.
Cooper union- as discussed above. Excellent reputation. Very difficult to get in. Abstract, as opposed to practical, focus. Admission was free when I researched it; not sure if that changed.
NYIT - decent reputation, expensive but scholarships are easy to get, Columbus circle = very safe neighborhood, commuter campus, technology school as opposed to art school.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 12:26 am
There's an on-line program at Academy of Art in San Francisco. It's expensive but does avoid many issues you might find on-campus. There are a handful of frum people in the program now and I think at least three who've graduated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics