Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Frozen Farm Raised salmon dated 9/29/16, use or toss?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:32 am
I bought a package of "farm raised salmon fillet" around Succos time, (dated 9-29-16) which I froze immediately after purchase and then did not use it at the time. (some guests cancelled last minute). We are not big fish eaters, but with the Nine Days here, I was going to prepare it for dinner tonight. How long can frozen fish be used safely, or should I toss it? It is frozen for about ten months. It looks ok, but would the flavor still be good and the quality?
Awaiting your comments. TIA!

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:35 am
Toss
I'm assuming you don't have a commercial freezer.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:44 am
OP here...I have an upright freezer in my basement. It is not used daily so it's not just a freezer on top of the fridge which everyone opens many times throughout the day. I just go down occasionally to bring up what I need (we buy chickens by the case). Would that make a difference?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:44 am
If its still frozen, there is no danger in using it. The quality (taste and texture) may be compromised, particularly if the seal was not airtight.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:45 am
I wouldn't use anything that was frozen for that long, especially not fish & meat.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:50 am
Assuming that your freezer never went on the blink during this time, I think it's okay to use.

When I buy frozen salmon at Costco, the stamped date indicates that it's usually good for at least a year, and I've kept it for many months in my freezer before using it. It has been fine.

The main issue is with how you wrapped it before you froze it. Sub-optimal packaging likely means the food will have freezer burn.

mame1

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:53 am
I generally don’t like to keep it in the freezer for more than 6 months. But, if you freeze it properly, and it doesn’t look like there is any freezer burn, you should be good to go.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 9:02 am
OP here. I just tossed it. I generally don't like tossing out something which might be ok, but I also don't like taking chances and serving something which might not be safe and at its best.
I appreciate all your responses which helped me make my final decision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen