Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How to teach not to wait till last minute

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:59 pm
my 3 yo dd is fully trained for a few months already. she hardly has any accidents. however, she sometimes waits until the last second to run to the bathroom. even if were inside the house, even if shes not playing. usually she runs to the bathroom and its fine. sometimes she waits so long that she cant even walk anymore. I pick her up and run to the bathroom, holding her over the toilet as I pull down her underwear. she usually makes it. sometimes it gets a drop on her underwear, at which point she'll say my underwear got wet, and shell change, but she doesnt seem that bothered. I can tell her from today till tomorrow that she cant wait for the last minute, that is why she cant walk, thats why her underwear got wet... but shell still wait until the last minute the next time. I tried not taking her, letting her go by herself when she cant even walk (though I felt terribly guilty doing it) and it didnt help. by her morah, she also waits until the last minute to tell her, and she has had 1-2 accidents within the past month (at home she really doesnt have any)
but she still waits. how do I teach my just 3 yo to go right away??
tia

crust

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 4:02 pm
I never tried it, but I heard people are using this method successfully. They give a chocolate chip (I guess in 2017, it's up to a handful of Chocochips ...) for every time the underwear is dry.
Hatzlacha

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:05 pm
tysm for your reply. her underwear is almost always dry. she ends up making it but she waits until the last second. so she says im a big girl, I didnt have accidents... she didnt, which is good, but its a rush to make it, because she doesnt go until the last sec

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:34 pm
This is very common at this age. You need to catch her and tell her to go before she waits too long. Same for the teachers- this is standard for a preschool classroom.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 6:50 am
Remind to go. Send to go. Repeat repeat repeat.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:14 am
I wouldn't take her. Tell, don't ask, her to go every half hour. If she waits and wets herself, teach her to change herself.
If you take her, you've taken the responsibility, leaving her to do it again. If she makes on the floor, she should wipe it up.
DS is 3.5 and this works. If he wets himself, he goes to his room and changes. Doesn't tell me every time, I only notice because his pants don't match and his shoes are on the wrong feet!
He gets praise every night when his underwear was dry the whole day. (No admonishment if not.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training