Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Tisha Beav

shevi82

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 8:29 am
I feel like we are so caught up in what to cook before and after, all the laundry and shopping we will need to catch up on. The music we want to listen to already....if to fast when pregnant or nursing. We are forgetting the main point. The shecina is in galus for almost 2000 years. Our beautiful yerushlaim is still in ruins, all the hardships we have today are because we still do not have a Bais Hamikdash.
We should take some time to cry to hashem on this day and mourn our loss.
כל המתאבל על ירושלים זוכה ורואה בבניה.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:42 am
And we should remember that these three weeks are a buildup to hopefully, try to feel something tonight. Or even right now.
This aveilus work in reverse of aveilus for a relative, since it's not immediate and right in front of us.

I will say this: in a way, your post kind of (only kind of, I think you're spot on) reminds me of the posts around R"H on how people are getting so caught up in menus that they forget about teshuva. But we are the facilitators and producers in our families and have to do all the stage management and production so we do have to pull off meals, and strategize on how to get through the day with kids, etc. So if we are going to have the conversation, let's do it in the framework of how do we best do this chesed.

(The reason it only kind of reminds me is that for yom tov, we are enjoined to make delicious food, buy new clothes, create this atmosphere.)

shevi82

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:19 am
I hear what you are saying. But withwith yomtov we wait for it to come and here we wait to get it over with. Bec there is so much involoved we should stop to think why we are doing this. I once was in a shul in Meah Shearim on Tisha Beav night. It was dark lit with small candels,you heard weeping and sighing. It felt like the people felt like they were at a funeral of a family member.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 12:53 pm
shevi82 wrote:
I hear what you are saying. But withwith yomtov we wait for it to come and here we wait to get it over with. Bec there is so much involoved we should stop to think why we are doing this. I once was in a shul in Meah Shearim on Tisha Beav night. It was dark lit with small candels,you heard weeping and sighing. It felt like the people felt like they were at a funeral of a family member.

Like I said, you're spot on.
It's a long day, and it's even longer with the incredible bracha of young children. And longer still for those who don't fast well. But to expand on what you're saying, we should treat the day as the opportunity it is, for teshuva (as any fasting day is, but I have heard several speakers mention how this is a prelude to Elul), to mourn for the beauty of what we lost, and that we are where we are now, so fragmented, on all levels: physically as a people, spiritually, on a national and individual level. Which ties back into teshuva, and working to work on ourselves, to unite as a people, to unite with the RBShO.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days