Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How to tame my curly, frizzy, dry hair

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 11:38 pm
All my life, I've had to deal with curly, frizzy, dry, unruly hair. I went all through school just throwing it into a messy bun and not being able to take care of it. Towards the end of high school, I started relaxing my hair every 6 months, and it helped a lot with the frizz.

Now I'm married, and all remnants of the relaxing chemicals are basically gone from my hair. It's back to its old, insanely frizzy self. The texture is so gross. It's all thin on top and then a big blob everywhere else. My husband doesn't like it short, and I think it looks even more ridiculous when it's short, so it's long right now -- which is making it even more difficult to take care of.

Also, I'm post-baby, so a lot of hair has been falling out. When I come out of the shower, I have one big tangled knot of hair. Since I have to comb and brush it so much, even more hair comes out.

Please help me, Imamothers: anyone has any suggestions of how I can keep my hair normal? Even though I cover my hair, it doesn't feel good to look in the mirror and be grossed out. I don't want to relax my hair again because of the chemicals -- not good for my hair, not good for the baby, not good for my sheitel -- and the expense and required upkeep.

TIA!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:16 am
Bump

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:29 am
There's a blog out there called CurlyGirl. It's supposed to be very good.

You can also Google websites geared for "natural style Black hair". These ladies are the experts on taking care of your curls and taming the frizz. Tons of advice on products, where to get them, and how to use them.

Best of all, they'll help you see the beauty of the hair Hashem gave you, once you know how to care for it properly. Accepting your natural attributes will make you feel so much better about yourself!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:34 am
I can't say I've tried everything but what works best from me what I have tried is Pantene. A hairdresser told me that after washing and conditioning I should work a little conditioner in my hair and not wash it out. (She didn't specifically mention Pantene.)

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:07 am
Bump -- anyone else? Remember, I'm covering my hair with a sheitel, so I don't want to use leave-in products or things that might be bad for my sheitel.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
There's a blog out there called CurlyGirl. It's supposed to be very good.

You can also Google websites geared for "natural style Black hair". These ladies are the experts on taking care of your curls and taming the frizz. Tons of advice on products, where to get them, and how to use them.

Best of all, they'll help you see the beauty of the hair Hashem gave you, once you know how to care for it properly. Accepting your natural attributes will make you feel so much better about yourself!

My computer blocks the blog, but from what I've read, I don't think this is for me. They're showing you how to wear curly hair all wild. I don't like that look.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:09 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I can't say I've tried everything but what works best from me what I have tried is Pantene. A hairdresser told me that after washing and conditioning I should work a little conditioner in my hair and not wash it out. (She didn't specifically mention Pantene.)

I've tried Pantene in the past, didn't find it any different than any other company. Will leaving in conditioner affect my sheitel?

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:11 am
Op I have the same as u. I used to just straighten it but now I dont have patience. I just wash it and condition it. If I dont brush it when I wash it, it gets all matted and takes longer to brush the next time. I have just cut it short because I had had enough. Prepping it for mikva was a disaster. I cut it to my shoulders. And tied it up in a bun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics