Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I want to send my daughter to dance class or sports, BUT...
Previous  1  2

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:32 pm
penguin wrote:
Quote:
Yea but I bet you have really strong fingers for a penguin.
Flippers, honey. Flippers.

What? I thought you had wings. Now you are confusing me, it doesn't alter my respect for your species though. And sometimes walking around confused can be pleasant.

Miri7

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 10:41 pm
At our MO school our girls basketball team wears baggy longer shorts (that essentially are skirt-like in the amount of fabric) with Capri leggings under and shells under the jersey t-shirts.

I know of a lot of folks who hold that girls and women can wear modest shorts or pants in a setting where it's appropriate- like sports.

I think starting a class for girls is a great idea - you might even find a local women only gym to offer one. Then if dads pick up they will just be In the lobby and your daughter can slip a skirt or something in before exiting.

penguin

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 11:37 pm
Quote:
What? I thought you had wings. Now you are confusing me, it doesn't alter my respect for your species though. And sometimes walking around confused can be pleasant.
Of course we have wings. But we don't type with 'em. Most of us, anyhow. We type with our feet, because then we can use all six toes. (Of course, first we take off our ice skates.)

To you humans, though, they probably look like flippers.

Our wings, OTOH, we use to dust the computer screen sometimes.

MyUsername

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 1:54 pm
Maybe she and her friends can organize a running group together. Skirts can be worn over pants for whoever wants.

Gracie

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 5:27 pm
What about buying "step it up?" It's a dance mat that you attach to your computer screen and the kids have to follow the prompts on the screen to different dance moves. It's tons of fun and there's varying levels of difficulty. It really gets my daughter moving!

Petra

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 6:48 pm
I don't have any better answers, OP, than what you have already received.

I have always felt a disappointment that the frum life-style doesn't usually lend to a body healthy life-style. There is not a whole lot of activities out there for girls, especially.

It's just not all that gratifying to exercise in a basement or learn a skill such as dance which can't every really be shown off. I'm not a dancer and never had that desire but I imagine that those who dance get a certain satisfaction and fulfillment out of being able to share their art form and sense of expression with others. Similarly, participating in a team sport has it's own rewards aside from health related.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 2:00 am
Maybe you could start your own class of something - hire a teacher and find some space and gather a group of girls and have them learn yoga or karate or anything else.

When I was growing up, there were no art classes in the neighborhood, but one of the parents really wanted them for her kids, so she hired a teacher and got a group of 8-10 of the kids from school, set up her indoor porch and we had art classes once a week. It was really fun. You can definitely do the same for certain exercise activities.

imasinger

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 2:46 am
Gracie wrote:
What about buying "step it up?" It's a dance mat that you attach to your computer screen and the kids have to follow the prompts on the screen to different dance moves. It's tons of fun and there's varying levels of difficulty. It really gets my daughter moving!

Great idea! We borrowed one from a friend for a while, and my kids loved it!

By the way, I've had trouble finding this for what used to be the regular selling price for my family. If anyone can point me to a place to get it, I'd appreciate it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 7:23 am
We bought a small trampoline for the basement for those days when its freezing and the kids need to let out their excess energy.
Maybe organize your own team sport.
Ladies only swimming especially if you can get some of her friends to join.
Skating roller blading or biking are fun and really healthy.
I try to tqke them to the playground 3 times a week. Swings monkey bars etc are excercize without them even realizing it.
My neighbor got her kids a frequent pass to a bounce U type place in the winter. Twice a week jumping on inflatables and crawling through tunnels. She said it came out to the same price as gymnastic class but she could take all her kids.
My 10 yr old (slightly overweight) dd once decided to run a dance "instruction" group for 6 yr olds in the neighborhood. Loud simcha music and running and dancing.
Whatever gets her heart pumping and breaks a sweat is great.

marina

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 7:30 am
do you have a curves near you? These are all women's gyms and some may offer dance classes.
https://www.curves.com/news/pr.....tness

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 8:20 am
marina wrote:
do you have a curves near you? These are all women's gyms and some may offer dance classes.
https://www.curves.com/news/pr.....tness

Many play nonstop xtian music.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 9:18 am
I was there once. No mom was interested in sport. Finally bh school started sport.

MyUsername

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 12:41 pm
We had simcha dancing for girls and women when I was growing up. Someone hired a teacher and a basement room and girls and moms alike (not always together). It was really fun, and great exercise in a skirt! Plus, I knew all the dances when bat mitzvahs came around!

professor

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:40 pm
Ice skating is tons of fun and it's also tznius because everyone is bundled up. She can learn so dance on ice

professor

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:41 pm
Or play ice hockey

boysrus

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:49 pm
this thread is a year old...

penguin

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:14 pm
But Penguin will be so happy to have some company ice skating.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:21 am
What about tap dance? The music is usually more tame and I can't see why she can't wear a skirt. The only thing she needs is tap shoes.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 12:53 pm
What does SHE want to do? Will she mind being dressed differently?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics