Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Health alert regarding fish

dveikus

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 2:38 am
For those who avoid food from China, I noticed that every single type of frozen fish from every single brand used fish from China. One company listed the source as PRC, which means people's Republic of China. (This info is at the bottom of the back of the bag in case you want to check.)

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 6:59 am
I try very hard not to eat food from China and I've noticed this too. I bought Dagim frozen flounder for the Nine Days, and thought I was okay because the package said the fish came from the icy waters of Alaska. But when I looked more closely (unfortunately, when the fish was already cooking), I noticed that the package also said, in smaller print, product of China.

I assume this means that the fish was caught in Alaska and then sent to China for processing. This isn't as bad as eating farmed fish from China's polluted waters, but I still don't want to eat food that was processed in China.

On the flip side, I am also concerned that food that is processed in the U.S. -- whether spices or frozen or canned vegetables -- may very likely contain ingredients that originate from China. I try as much as I can to buy fresh food, but using some degree of processed food (e.g., spices) is hard to avoid.

L K

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 8:39 am
I've been able to find tilapia with hechsher at Costco, that wasn't from china.

kiryat sefer

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 8:41 am
It's impossible to avoid that.
EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA EXCEPT PEOPLE.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 8:54 am
Can someone explain to me the problem of food made in China? Thank you.

TeachersNotebook

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 12:04 pm
kiryat sefer wrote:
It's impossible to avoid that.
EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA EXCEPT PEOPLE.

I think most of the people in the world are made in China, if I remember the statistic right LOL

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 12:29 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Can someone explain to me the problem of food made in China? Thank you.

China does not have food quality and safety standards as rigorous as the US. I should think it will all be a non issue once the president eliminates, the FDA,CDC and EPA, as promised.

Jobs on processors is dangerous regardless of its registry, like most Chinese jobs the pay is not equal to that of the job on US registered processors. Here in the PNW working on processors is one way kids earn money for college, and the money is lucrative for a relatively short season. Not so much on a Chinese processor.

That being said, that fish from an Alaskan fishery was probably sold at sea, to the processor that was giving the best deal or with a Chinese processor they had a contract with. That is how the industry works here in the Pacific fisheries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics