Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Driving lessons for teen with severe driving phobia

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:18 pm
My daughter has a crippling fear of driving.

She's desperate to overcome it. We live in monsey.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:20 pm
A severe phobia needs to be treated by a therapist, not a driving teacher. You can contact relief for a local recommendation.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:26 pm
First address the fear, she has to learn to overcome it before learning to drive. She won't let herself learn properly is she's afraid.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:46 pm
I had a lot of anxiety about driving (still have). I used Tom from Davids Driving School. He is very patient and calm. I highly recommend him for anyone with anxiety about driving. I made sure to let him know that I have anxiety. It took me much longer to learn than the average person and I took the test three times but I have my license and I am very greatful. I was in therapy at the time for a host of issues including anxiety and we barely ever addressed my driving but it may have contributed to my success. My anxiety wasn't severe though. Basically I was so anxious that I got in my own way of being able to drive properly but I was able to get behind the wheel and press on the gas. Looking back I could have benefited from taking anti anxiety meds but I didnt at the the time. I also had a lot of ppl. supporting me when I was feeling down about my driving so let her know that you have faith in her and that she WILL do it! Smile

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 11:59 pm
My daughter dented our car one of the first times she drove after getting her permit and wouldn't drive for a while after.
I don't live in Monsey so the driving instructor we used wouldn't be helpful to you but I told him what had happened and I like what he told me. His approach was that he has the kids jump straight into real driving. He pulls into the driveway when picking them up so they are forced to back out. He takes them straight onto busy streets, making complicated left turns. He would chat a lot while driving so that the kids can't focus on the anxiety.
He did a great job but my daughter needed a lot of lessons. Way more than my other kids. It was expensive but much healthier for all of us that a third party was dealing with it.
Now she is usually the one who drives her friends when they go out or go to weddings!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children