Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Hemming a pleated skirt

LovetoLive

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 11:19 am
I need to hem a pleated uniform skirt. I am comfortable with sewing basics, but I have never hemmed a pleated skirt before.

Do I iron flat the section of the pleats that will be hemmed before starting? Do I first fold and sew and then iron back the pleats into shape?

I need to leave a section of hem on the inside to take down later if she grows. Is it better to fold once and make a blind hem at the top of the wide fold, or fold multiple times and then hem a skinny hem?

Is there anything else I should know before starting?

Thank you very much.

Gneshe

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 11:21 am
I would fold over once, and press after hemming.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 12:05 pm
Like she said. I'm assuming that the hem is already overlocked, if not, overedge or zigzag the edge to prevent fraying.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 12:39 pm
Technically a pleated skirt is supposed to. be shortened from the top. But only the pros do that. Make a wide hem. Multiple fold overs will yield a thick blob at the bottom and will both look awful and be impossible to press properly. The pleats will also not fall neatly closed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing