Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Chewing while talking on the phone??

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 10:08 am
Am I crazy if this drives me insane?

If a friend calls me while she is eating, if it's a meal or noshing, I will ask them to call me back when she is done.

I had a 45 minute phone meeting with my boss just now and he ate through the entire phone call. Would he do it to a customer?

It makes me irritable and my anxiety sky rockets.

Yes, I suffer from anxiety, PTSD & depression. I take 200 MG Zoloft every day.

What is your opinion? Is this ok to do? How does it feel for 'normal" people?

I couldn't decide if I can ask him to call me back once he is done.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 10:12 am
I get you. I have it too, IRL even worse than on the phone. I got to suck it up cuz what else am I gonna do? not let people eat around me? not be around people when they eat?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 10:15 am
this may be of help

http://www.webmd.com/mental-he.....honia

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 10:22 am
amother wrote:

I couldn't decide if I can ask him to call me back once he is done.

that really depends on your relationship with your boss.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
I get you. I have it too, IRL even worse than on the phone. I got to suck it up cuz what else am I gonna do? not let people eat around me? not be around people when they eat?

How do you "suck it up"? I will drive DH crazy. Normal stuff like yawns and nose blowing.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:33 pm
It's extremely rude.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:41 pm
Very rude. It drives me mad too!
I would have told him gently "I'll call you in 20min so that you have the time to finish your meal calmly", so that I'll look nice and sensitive and yet wouldn't have to hear all the chewing Smile

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 7:05 pm
Thanks everyone for the validation.

I just feel like locking myself in to a 2X2 room and escape from everything and everyone.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 7:46 pm
When my mother does it on the phone I say "can I call you back when you're finished with dinner?". She gets annoyed but I don't know what else to do.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 10:05 pm
I ask, what are you eating ? They usually get the hint. Gets me very nervous too.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:23 am
It's rude and gross.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:48 am
I'll admit to many faux pas, but this is not one.
I was always told "don't talk with food in your mouth". That's because it looks gross, sounds gross, the Gemara (I think) says it can cause choking, and is degrading to the person you're talking to.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 6:08 am
My DH knows and my kids know "Don't eat when Mommy is around, especially certain foods , like cereal! I used to work with someone that answered the phones. She literally hung up on people eating an would cry with tears!!! Whenever I say something like, " please don't chew in my ears" my husband and kids joke around and say "misophonia at work". So it's a real thing , some people have it more extreme than others.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 6:49 am
I was once eating gum at work and didn't realize it would bother anyone , my coworker called me about something and started yelling at me , how dare you ? Can you please stop chewing ??????? And she was yelling at me for a good few mins ( long after I stopped ) I was nearly in tears ..
I do understand that ppl get annoyed and all that and I also do but then I was engrossed in something and didn't realize
Just wanted to point out to please be nice when you say such stuff ..

heidi

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 7:05 am
I'm going to be brave and say this in my screen name. What's the big deal??? My friends and I eat while we're talking on the phone all the time. We compare and contrast favorite foods. My co workers and I don't have time to take a lunch break and we eat while working. I'm really not understanding what's so gross about it.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 8:02 am
OP here. Thanks everyone for chiming in. Relieving to see that I am not the only one.

I never have the guts to tell anyone. Only people close to me.

I won't yell at anyone. It just puts me in a very bad, irritable mood for the rest of the day.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:04 am
OP here
Update:

My boss and I needed to work on a project together but couldn't set up a time we would both be available. So I offered he should do his part and I'll do mine.

He said he doesn't have time and he can do other stuff while we talk. And started eating again. After a few minutes I mustered up the courage to ask him to please call me back when he's done eating. He said no, this has to get done and continued eating. I am so disgusted. It is such a trigger for me.

It's something he can do on his own. But wants me to feed him the info so that he can eat.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:06 am
"Wait, what's that clicking noise"?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette