Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to give away kids clothing?
1  2  Next

How to give away kids clothing?
Just give it all to the Chesed Fund/Goodwill, and they'll sort it out  
 55%  [ 59 ]
Sort by size, then advertise batches to sell/give away  
 5%  [ 6 ]
Post individual items for sale/give away  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Save the hand-me-downs for my own purely hypothetical future children  
 15%  [ 16 ]
Only try to sell/give away the like-new items. Give anything worn out to recycling  
 23%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 106

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 5:13 pm
I'm trying to downsize before a move, and want to get rid of lots of children's clothing in various sizes and states of wear.

Any advice for how to do this without going crazy?

There is a local "Jewish Mommies" facebook group that I've posted the best-preserved items on, but I haven't gotten much of a response.

What do you suggest?

(1) Just give it all to the Chesed Fund/Goodwill, and they'll sort it out (easiest for me, and so most likely to get done)

(2) Sort by size, then advertise "take all" batches to sell/give away (ex. "garbage bag of boys clothing, size 3T, $10")

(3) Post individual items for sale/give away (this is the most labor intensive, also I'll be stuck waiting for responses before I say "nevermind" and am back to options 1 or 2. Also, I don't want to flood the facebook/freecycle groups because I think I'm annoying)

(4) Save the hand-me-downs for my own purely hypothetical children (my internal Entropy Monster says this, and I am fighting this instinct tooth and nail. I grew up in a hoarding house, and am trying to live a less stuffed-up life for my own mental health)

(5) Only try to sell "like new" items. Anything worn out should be recycled: Can someone give me a better definition of "worn out"? My kids wear their paint-Messed clothes to camp all summer; would someone care if one button on a shirt is slightly different because I replaced it?; does anyone ever want hand-me-down underwear?
TOO MANY DECISIONS IS LITERALLY SHUTTING MY BRAIN DOWN

--

Also, if you live in Chicago and want boys clothes between sizes 0 months to 6 years, let me know!

oohlala

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 5:20 pm
just going through this now, and this is what I decided:

I have 2 kids, ages 5 and 3, one boy one girl. I'm not sure whether there will be more kids, but I don't want the clothes to sit. Let someone use them! they will be out of style in a year or so (bec. they were sitting for a few years already!) and I can afford to buy new (target, childrens place, kohls etc). I decided to keep some upscale stuff and a few good quality things. the rest I sorted by size, put in garbage bags and offered them to my SIL's. One agreed to take all. If she would not have wanted them, I would have advertised them on the local ladies fb page to give away. it took much less time to sort than I expected it to.

btw, if you give it to the chesed fund, etc. sometimes they shred the clothes and sell the material for recycled clothes, the clothes you donate don't actually get used! So if you give it away to an organization, call first and ask what they do with the clothes.

good luck!

Zehava

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 5:21 pm
I personally go with option 2
Only I don't bother charging 10$ how will that help? I have relatives who take the whole batch from me and then pass on what they don't use. I originally put them in different bags when deciding what to give away.
I wouldn't give to a chesed fund since I heard they end up selling most of it for scrap and I like to know that the clothes get used and appreciated.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 5:24 pm
Sort by size and season and post on a busy free giveaway watsap group 'entire winter girls wardrobe available, size 3, including shabbos clothes and robe'. People usually appreciate that. I have a pic or 2 of the selection available for anyone who asks but not much because I can't deal with pick and choose. And I abide by first come first serve without reserving.

ETA I didn't realize you were selling. Go with option 2.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 5:33 pm
OP here.
Thanks for all the quick responses!

The only reason I'm bringing up selling is because all the organization websites mention it, and I've bought Target-branded clothes for $1 at thrift shops before, so I guess other people would do it too.
And it would be nice to get even $20 total at the end of all of this as a reward for my efforts Very Happy

But, yeah, I'm not getting rid of ANYTHING high-end. These are mostly Carters/Target/Gymboree -type things. So giving it away is probably the only way.

Unfortunately, I don't have any relatives nearby (and they only have little girls anyway) to offer things too. I'm a bit shy about flat out asking the mothers of my kids' friends "hey do you want some clothes?".

I don't have a smartphone, so I don't Whatsapp. But I can try the local facebook groups again...

Zehava

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 5:38 pm
How about a good old fashioned classified? Is there a community pages where you live?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 5:57 pm
I just post on here. Everything gets taken.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 6:03 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I just post on here. Everything gets taken.

I assume you're in New York or Lakewood?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 6:15 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I assume you're in New York or Lakewood?

Yup. Ny

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 6:17 pm
I save a few nice things for future hypothetical children (iyH) and send the rest to monsey to the metsiahs place. I live in the Midwest and have yet to find an organization that does as good of a job. (It's part if Kupas Ezra) The clothing gets sorted and organized, and given / sold in a storefront to people for very cheap. It's a fabulous organization and many people benefit and get nice things from there. I have half a mind to get clothing (winter coats?) for my kids there as I'm pretty tight now financially. Better than goodwill as you can find really high quality stuff in excellent condition. Many people give away really good things.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 6:30 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Yup. Ny

I'm in Chicago, and I only know a few imamothers from here

smilealot

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 7:48 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

(5) Only try to sell "like new" items. Anything worn out should be recycled: Can someone give me a better definition of "worn out"? My kids wear their paint-Messed clothes to camp all summer; would someone care if one button on a shirt is slightly different because I replaced it?; does anyone ever want hand-me-down underwear?
TOO MANY DECISIONS IS LITERALLY SHUTTING MY BRAIN DOWN

--

Also, if you live in Chicago and want boys clothes between sizes 0 months to 6 years, let me know!

Paint Messed, different buttons, underwear - in my mind all these are no no's.
Somehow my own kids paint is different from receiving or buying from others.
There are people that sell things for you so you could always dump all your clothes on them to try to sell for you.
Good luck

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
Sort by size and season and post on a busy free giveaway watsap group 'entire winter girls wardrobe available, size 3, including shabbos clothes and robe'. People usually appreciate that. I have a pic or 2 of the selection available for anyone who asks but not much because I can't deal with pick and choose. And I abide by first come first serve without reserving.

ETA I didn't realize you were selling. Go with option 2.

Is there really a whatsapp group for used clothing. Im in flatbush and would love to join.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
Is there really a whatsapp group for used clothing. Im in flatbush and would love to join.

It's clothing and furniture and toys and everything under the sun. If you need something it's worth being on but it can get overwhelming at times with all the posts. If you need little girls clothing size 3 or 4 ish or ladies clothing size 4 ish let me know as I am preparing some stuff to post.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 8:18 pm
Luvme wrote:
Paint Messed, different buttons, underwear - in my mind all these are no no's.
Somehow my own kids paint is different from receiving or buying from others.
There are people that sell things for you so you could always dump all your clothes on them to try to sell for you.
Good luck

So take those out of the giveaway bag and just put them in the trash?

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 9:52 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have any relatives nearby (and they only have little girls anyway) to offer things too. I'm a bit shy about flat out asking the mothers of my kids' friends "hey do you want some clothes?".

Just do it! Why not? It may be helpful to them. And if not you can ask if they know someone else who could use it.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 9:55 pm
definitely ask friends mothers. I get and I give and it's great!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 10:21 pm
amother wrote:
It's clothing and furniture and toys and everything under the sun. If you need something it's worth being on but it can get overwhelming at times with all the posts. If you need little girls clothing size 3 or 4 ish or ladies clothing size 4 ish let me know as I am preparing some stuff to post.

I can use size 3 or 4 girl clothing. How can I join the whatsapp group.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 1:21 am
I give away all my hand me downs to friends that need.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 5:23 am
amother wrote:
I can use size 3 or 4 girl clothing. How can I join the whatsapp group.
Text Sarah to join watsap group 917-361-8268. I'm not on the group now but if you post a way for us to be in touch I can give to you directly.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics