Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Stuffed Torah
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 4:48 pm
hey they should make a stuffed hen or rooster ... l'kavod kapporos ... Twisted Evil

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 5:25 pm
Green, didn't you read about the cruelty of kappores online?

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 5:29 pm
I did indeed ... but that doesn't stop people from doing it ... you know that Chocolate Moose

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 6:53 pm
Stops me from doing it !!!!!!

Ima'la

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 7:02 pm
That is a nice idea of having a Torah for love & comfort. But I hear what you're saying, too, stem. We take ours out as a special treat for Simchas Torah and Shavuos.

GAMZu wrote:
You could give a Torah. And we have a couple. But you can't decide what your child will get attached to.

Just what I was going to say. Unlikely your child (esp. a first, esp. esp. a first grandchild!) won't get more! And I don't think it's healthy not to allow anything else.

Quote:
But the ones with features (eyes, nose, mouth) make me nervous, and I've seen that my kids, from a very young age, relate to the animals/dolls on account of those features

Good point - I read that even newborns respond to *faces* - even crudely drawn ones - so there may be an advantage to dolls and even animals for that reason. Besides a natural mothering/nurturing instinct, for girls at least (hey, don't bash me - my boys do not have this anywhere near to the extent of my daughter!). DD has never been into dolls, but was VERY nurturing to her stuffed animals...but somehow I can't see having a "baby Torah"!

Piper

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 7:38 pm
My daughter has one somewhere in her room. When she was younger, she used to go to sleep with it in her arms every night.

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:50 pm
I have an unpopular opinion, I guess. I don't see stuffed Torahs, stuffed pushkas, etc. as being any better than a stuffed animal or a doll. It doesn't look like the real thing, it doesn't do what the real thing does, and I personally don't even associate it with the real thing when I see it, like that Mitzvah Mobile that came out a while back. I had to try and guess what those things hanging from it were.

One thing I do like though, is the stuffed Menorah. (Except I wish it would stand upright. Rolling Eyes ) Since it has candles to put in each branch I was able to teach my toddlers all about the Menorah- the Shamash, which direction we set it up, which direction we light from, how many candles we light each day, how many days there are of Chanukah, and the Brochos. What a great toy!

raizy

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:18 pm
my oldest used to sleep with his torohs every single night. now he youngest brothers is copying.

even though some of my kid have weird ideas. one sleeps with "donkey" and elmo every single night. he decided that it is a donkey. it really just a mentshie kind of a stuffed doll.

leomom

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:04 am
raizy wrote:
even though some of my kid have weird ideas. one sleeps with "donkey" and elmo every single night. he decided that it is a donkey. it really just a mentshie kind of a stuffed doll.

That's funny! It shows that while you can give kids kosher toys, you can't stop them from turning them into whatever they want. We only give our kids kosher stuffed animals, too (and we once had a stuffed mezuzah - it was actually the first toy I ever bought for our first child) -- but my youngest insists on calling the stuffed shepsel a "doggie"! I tell her it's a sheep... but she wants a doggie. So it's a doggie. What can you do? LOL

GAMZu

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:59 am
I have the mobile. It's so cheaply made. Sad The plastic arm broke right away, and the material on the music box kept getting in the way of the turning mechanism.
So now the kids use the music box as a separate wind-up toy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moose- please tell me about the kapparos. I don't believe there is another frum person sharing my views.

I think the most disgusting breach of tzaar baalei chayim is the way the chickens are kept- in tiny crates where they can't stand straight, for days on end, and without food or water.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 2:38 am
This is completely off topic, but I agree that they way the chickens are kept is tzaar baalei chayim. It's terrible. Sometimes conditions in the places where animals are kept for slaughter or laying eggs are similar. Hopefully they feed them, but it is my understanding that battery chickens are kept in very small cages while they lay. Their beaks often have to be cut off to stop them from peaking each other and the lights are kept on at all times to encourage the hens to lay more eggs. Anyway, I'll stop now.

Marion

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 4:46 am
We have a "stuffed" seder plate, with the simanim. I bought it, despite the fact that I thought it "kitschy" because I wanted to get him something educational as an afikomen gift. It's something we only take out at Pesach, so it's not full of food, and it's relevant. I think for Simchat Torah a stuffed torah would be an appropriate toy, or if used to teach about parsha on Shabbat, but just to have lying around? I think an animal is better.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 5:52 am
GAMZu and BinahY there is another thread about that - current at that ... PETA vs Kapporos ...

amother

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 6:26 am
yy wrote:
raizy wrote:

That's funny! It shows that while you can give kids kosher toys, you can't stop them from turning them into whatever they want. We only give our kids kosher stuffed animals, too (and we once had a stuffed mezuzah - it was actually the first toy I ever bought for our first child) -- but my youngest insists on calling the stuffed shepsel a "doggie"! I tell her it's a sheep... but she wants a doggie. So it's a doggie. What can you do? LOL

I got a stuffed etrog and lulav set for my 2 year old boy... we only have kosher animals at home and keep secular magazines out of the home, don't have TV etc...

anyway, at first he was very excited about it...then I saw him put the etrog in his shirt and he said "Hey, "Im Ima!!" embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

(That's when I knew it was time to wean him!)

Atali

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 8:40 pm
My DS makes "hakafos" with his stuffed Torah and puts it in an "Aron Kodesh" too sometimes.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics