Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Strawberry/Pink Marble Cake

myself

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:32 am
The other post about strawberry muffins reminded me to post. I've been trying to make a pink/strawberry marble cake but I haven't managed to make it successfully. Obviously, the cake tastes fine, but the marbling doesn't come out properly.

Firstly, the pink doesn't come out dark enough. It's more of a barely pink. I used raspberry jello powder and some strawberry flavouring.
Secondly, it doesn't marble nicely and mostly sinks to the bottom.

Anyone have a good recipe or technique?

myself

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 8:13 am
Bump Smile

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 11:56 am
What are you mixing in to the reserved batter to make the pink strawberry marble?

myself

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 5:39 am
ra_mom wrote:
What are you mixing in to the reserved batter to make the pink strawberry marble?

Strawberry flavour and some raspberry jello powder. Either one on it's own provided too little colour.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 5:51 am
myself wrote:
Strawberry flavour and some raspberry jello powder. Either one on it's own provided too little colour.

Why not paste food coloring?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 6:27 am
Iymnok wrote:
Why not paste food coloring?

I agree. Try a food coloring gel.

myself

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 7:22 am
Hmm. I don't like to use colouring if I can help it. But would liquid colouring work? I don't think the gel is available here with kosher certification.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:41 am
myself wrote:
Hmm. I don't like to use colouring if I can help it. But would liquid colouring work? I don't think the gel is available here with kosher certification.

The raspberry jello powder has food coloring in it btw.
You can google DIY beet coloring. Find a method that reduces the coloring so you don't have any, or minimal, liquid. Like beet powder or very reduced very thickened cooking liquid.
If you have Amazon access, look for Wilton gels. They come with an OU parve.

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 11:17 am
there are natural colorings: beet juice (from an extractor is best) can replace some of the liquid in the recipe, cranberry juice concentrate (not the juice cocktail), or pureed strawberries (you can heat it in a saucepan and reduce it to thicken it)

myself

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:12 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. I prefer using strawberries but I assume I'd have the same problem of it all falling to the bottom...

The Wilton food colouring is rather costly at my end of the world, especially since I very rarely use it. Perhaps I'll try the liquid colouring I have, as a one off to see how it works, and I'll add some extra flour to make up for the drier texture of the chocolate marble version.

I'll keep you posted Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins