Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Orientation/ First day of school

gryp

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 5:28 pm
For those who have younger babies at home, what do you do with them when you need to take your older one to his classroom orientation or first day of school?
All the girls I trust to babysit are in school at that time.

luckyme

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 5:49 pm
I take mine in a soft carrier, you know the kind that you strap on. The baby just hangs out & doesn't make a fuss, plus you can encourage your older one by saying stuff like "look baby's name, how grown up your brother/sister is & how lucky they are to go to school. When you are a big boy/girl, you will get to go to school to" My older kids always loved for me to bring the littles ones to school -they were so proud!
You could also use a stroller, but you don't know how much room there will be.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 5:55 pm
I never took any of my kids to the first day of school or camp...sleepaway or day.

Dini

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 5:58 pm
I left the younger one at the babysitter since I went with her straight from work, but was surprised when I saw that most of the mothers brough younger kid(s) with them.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 7:01 pm
I'd take the baby along. Is DH coming with you then? If he'll be home, leave the baby with him.

Choc... so you sent your kids alone on their very first day to a strange, new, scary place?

gryp

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 7:11 pm
If I had just one baby, I'd take him along. But I've got two. Smile
My older one really needs my undivided attention, the first day going smoothly is very important for him.

justanothermother

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 7:17 pm
Is there anyone who does babysitting at home you can use? A SAHM friend who you can swap some babysitting hours with?

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 11:51 pm
Orientation isn't that much of a big deal.

I always brought along the babyand don't remember it being a problem, (besides the getting there part) but I didn't always have two under the one entering K .

The Morah takes over, you are more in the background, while she talks to your child, makes him comfortable and gives him something to color or do. You are involved, but not overly.

It's basically a few minutes only, open house/ meet the teacher thing. Unless others have a different kind of orientation day. Confused

gryp

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 5:05 am
Orientation in my kid's school is a bit different. I basically have to take him around the classroom, do a project with him, show him the bathroom, his new cubby. The Morah kind of just goes around to each kid to say hi. I don't think I can do all that with two kids in tow.

I think I'll find someone with a similar situation and see if we can take turns.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 7:48 am
GAMZu wrote:
Choc... so you sent your kids alone on their very first day to a strange, new, scary place?

Don't forget I'm a working mom, Gamzu. I just put the kid on the bus with everyone else. They didn't know any different.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 2:46 pm
In BR you can't bring your daughter at all - it's for parents only which is hard for those without babysitters. I did see babies last year though, just not the students themselves.

In OT I think I remember taking DD with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics