Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
CRIBS

MMEC123

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 2:21 pm
I've been trying to figure out what kind of crib to get for DS and I'm a bit overwhelmed. The prices vary so much- I've seen things from $200 up to over $1000. How do I know what's good and what will last and how much to spend?

anon

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 2:27 pm
Lol, from strollers to cribs...Here we go again! Very Happy

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 2:28 pm
you've got to physically walk into stores like babies r us and look at them for yourself.
decide if there are any features in particular that you like, e.g. teething bar, drawer underneath, color, wood type, style, if the side can be lowered....
once u have your specifications, ask to be shown all cribs that fit.
of course a price range always helps.

I bought one for $350 if I remember correctly and its still doing great 10 months later...

MMEC123

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 2:38 pm
anon- LOL! So what'd you end up with for a crib?

I know what color I want. Beyond that, I just want something that will last IY"H for more kids...

And why are the cribs at frum stores SO much more expensive? Is the quality THAT much better??

anon

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 3:42 pm
We bought a portacrib, which we are very happy with.

At this point, we're not concerned with having something last us for many years. We were just looking for something that would comfortably fit in our one bedroom apartment.

shoy18

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 3:50 pm
you need to find a sturdy crib if you want it to last. Most of the cheaper cribs are not sturdy and probably wont last to long. Your better off going to a jewish store and looking at cribs, then try and go online with the model number to check the prices.

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 5:09 pm
if you want your crib to last don't take it apart and put it together again. I mean leave it in the room the baby is going to stay in. we took apart the crib b/c the baby was going to sleep in another room. it was too big to fit through the hall way. then we had to take it apart in order to move, the hall way was too small. it didn't really hold up that well. if baby is going to be in your room and later another room, get a porta crib. our regular crib was 200 $

hey its me

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 8:52 pm
we went to babiesrus they had nothing in stock and I I dont think the guy who was helping us knew wat he was talking about..

we ended up going to the jewish store on new utrecht the crib was 300 plus 10 mattress but she was helpful gave good advice and I know we got a good crib well at least I hope we did Smile

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 10:06 pm
Delta/LUV makes a great crib, which assembles without hardware.
It's a sleigh type.
The way it works, is all the pieces go into pre-drilled notches and are held together by little metal clips.
The borad goes down flat and a mattress on top. It's great! Very sturdy... lasted us 2 1/2 years so far. We took it down because our kid switched to a bed.

YALT

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 10:13 pm
another important point to look at....
are you tall/short? Short/long arms? See if you'll be able to put the baby into the crib when (s)he's sleeping. Can you reach down to the mattress?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 11:12 pm
I did lots of research on my crib and am very happy with my $120 Delta Luv Jenny Lind. (it's rated best buy on consumer reports.) this is the one they do have in stock at babies r us. they prefer you to get the more expensive ones, which they would have to special order for you, which is why you will notice all the cheaper floor models in babies r us seem very flimsy. upon closer inspection, they are not fully assembled or assembled incorrectly. also, just so you know, all crib mattresses are fine. there is really no benefit to getting a "posture-pedic" mattress for an infant, and I don't know about you, but I don't need a thirty year warranty. (I certainly hope my child graduates to a regular bed by the time he's thirty.) the number of springs doesn't make a difference to the baby's posture or development. buy a mattress you like. not one that boasts features. it's sick the way childhood has become a marketing opportunity.

GAMZu

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 9:20 am
mummiedearest wrote:
I did lots of research on my crib and am very happy with my $120 Delta Luv Jenny Lind. (it's rated best buy on consumer reports.) this is the one they do have in stock at babies r us. they prefer you to get the more expensive ones, which they would have to special order for you, which is why you will notice all the cheaper floor models in babies r us seem very flimsy. upon closer inspection, they are not fully assembled or assembled incorrectly. also, just so you know, all crib mattresses are fine. there is really no benefit to getting a "posture-pedic" mattress for an infant, and I don't know about you, but I don't need a thirty year warranty. (I certainly hope my child graduates to a regular bed by the time he's thirty.) the number of springs doesn't make a difference to the baby's posture or development. buy a mattress you like. not one that boasts features. it's sick the way childhood has become a marketing opportunity.
shock
Is that what they really do to promote expensive cribs???
About the mattress- spring matresses as opposed to foam WILL support your baby better. A foam mattress will get worn out and have a dent in the middle by the time one kid is done w/ it. A spring mattress will last you several kids and will be good for a toddler bed because it's heavy. A foam one will keep sliding and flying off a toddler bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics