Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
9 months pregnant and fasting - does it really induce labor
1  2  Next

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 3:43 pm
subject says it all... just curious what it did to others.
I'm 38 weeks. rabbi says to fast no shiurim, and if labor starts I can eat/drink as needed.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 3:54 pm
I fasted at 37-38 weeks a few years ago and nothing happened besides for BH contractions. However I fasted this year tisha baav 2 days overdue and went into labour. Considering I was overdue theres no way of knowing if it was the fasting or not...

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 3:55 pm
Was 9 months twice on Tisha B'Av and fasted the whole time, once even ran a Tisha B'Av camp! Didn't go into labor, babies born a week or so later.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 3:59 pm
I fasted at 34 weeks and the baby was born at 39 weeks 4 days. I was super nervous about it. I think the key is hydration and finding the most restful way of fasting for yourself. I find shul the easiest since it has A/C and babysitters but a lot of people disagree with me I think.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 4:25 pm
Fasted yom kippur one year...had baby on my due date..10 days later
Fasted tisha baav, once had baby 3 weeks later and one a month later close to.due date

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 4:35 pm
I just saw something on Facebook about how a study came out that fasting can bring on labor. I think it was the first study that came out with conclusive results. I don't know much more than that.

That being said, thousands of Jewish and Muslim women fast while pregnant with no adverse affects. I cant imagine that a healthy woman with a healthy pregnancy who hydrated properly for the few days leading up should have a problem for 25 hours.

pgk

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 4:41 pm
I have a motzai yk baby:) then again I was due the day after yk in any case. Many of my friends were due around then as well. All fasted yk and all had babies sukkos, chol hamoed and right after so fasting def didn't affect them

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 4:55 pm
I fasted while a few days overdue a few years ago. I started having contractions during Neila and thought for sure this was it, but they went away as soon as I broke the fast. I had the baby 2 days later.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:02 pm
It did for me

maidale

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:04 pm
I have been in my ninth several times on yom kippur already. I didn't even have a contraction.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:18 pm
I did Yom Kippur at the very beginning of ny ninth month, with a babysitter and a lot of rest, and air conditioning. I started having intermittent mild contractions during the last few hours, none closer than ten minutes. Called the doctor right after the fast and was told to drink and drink for the next hour and call her back. They completely stopped. Apparently, this was standard for the doctor.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:29 pm
I was 41 weeks on 9 av with my first. Fasting didn't bring on labor.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:41 pm
I was nearly a week overdue on yom kipur. Fasted, and didnt have even one contraction.
Went into labor naturally about 2 days later I think

observer

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:50 pm
didnt do it for me. once I was 36 weeks and once I was almost 40 weeks. had some contractions, but that was it. had contractions even without fasting, on other days at that stage.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:18 pm
I've done it twice. Both with dr's ok (they were fine that baby was developed enough, it wouldn't be a prob if I went into labor). Both born after Sukkos!

mazal555

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:33 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I just saw something on Facebook about how a study came out that fasting can bring on labor. I think it was the first study that came out with conclusive results. I don't know much more than that.

That being said, thousands of Jewish and Muslim women fast while pregnant with no adverse affects. I cant imagine that a healthy woman with a healthy pregnancy who hydrated properly for the few days leading up should have a problem for 25 hours.

Pregnant women do not fast during Ramadan. Also, menstruating women do not fast during Ramadan.

fbmommy

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:34 pm
DS was due first day succos and born right on time-with fasting and all. the fasting is not what brings on labor but dehydration, so just make to drink before and after fast

mazal555

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:
subject says it all... just curious what it did to others.
I'm 38 weeks. rabbi says to fast no shiurim, and if labor starts I can eat/drink as needed.

this study says that women who fast on YK are twice as likely to have premature (before 37 weeks) deliveries. That being said, 6.3% of all births were premature. So I guess this means that most people who fast will be fine but a certain percentage will not.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....tudy/

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 9:39 pm
What the study is saying is not that full term babies will come earlier but babies not in the 9th month may.

That being said, I was about to post that my last 4 babies were ones I fasted with in the 9th month, but then I realized my second youngest is actually 14 Cheshvan and was 5 days early. But my third to youngest was born a week early on 13 Tishrei (really 2 days after YK -- he was born a few minutes after shkiyah) but he was my biggest and was probably ready to be born then. I only had some contractions the last hour of fasting (I did not break my fast, and I was definitely not in labor the next day either, and when I did go into labor the following day, it wasn't a fast/easy one -- I don't think those contractions did much). My fourth to last one was born late, and was in Cheshvan. My youngest was born 2 weeks after Tisha B'av (it was Tuesday, she was born 2 weeks later on Weds, one day late). My husband jokingly asked after the fast, "What, no baby?"

That being said, it's still crucial to find out the halachos pertaining to fasting and if it's safe to have the baby or not at that stage...and how to break a fast, and on what, etc

clowny

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 9:48 pm
My due date was a day before Yom Kippur. I fasted and it did absolutely nothing, not even one contraction. I ended up being induced at 10 days overdue on chol hamoed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur